Old 11-27-2013   #1
Granbury, Texas
Paddling Since: 2013
best boat for beginner?

I just started paddling and I'd like some advice on what is the best well rounded boat for me. I am about 115 lbs and 5'6. Any recommendations?

Canyonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #2
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Ya, don't worry so much about what boat to buy right now. Because no matter what boat you get, you will want something different in a few months! Keep it cheep so you get most of your money back at resale. The two happiest days of a new kayakers life are: The day you buy your first boat and the day you sell it for a better one!

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Don't buy anything more than 10 years old for your first boat, and if it's close to a decade be careful, there were some pretty crap ass designs out there. Any river runner will be good, Burn, Remix, Mamba, Diesel, Hero, Fun... any of these will serve you well. At your size you will probably want to go with a medium on any and all of them.

My first boat was a Wavesport XXX. I could barely fit in it and I got my ass kicked. Made me want to give it up. Bought it because it was a great deal.... the happiest day of my boating career was the day I got rid of that piece of shit.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #4
Baybarry, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I recommend getting a creek boat of some sort. You may want to try a mamba. This type of boat is very easy to roll and is a mix of a creek and a downriver.
Bludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #5
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Get a river runner/creeker on sale in your size (probably the small versions based on your dimensions). Don't worry so much about a specific model. Now is a great time to buy demos/last year models on sale. I agree with dirtbagkayaker, lmyers and Bludwig. My first kayak was a Villian S. Good boat but well above my level. However I got it on sale & I learned what I liked and didn't like about this boat so I was more informed about my subsequent purchases.
However a word of caution on your second/third/fourth/fifth..... boats. I walked into a kayak store looking for AquaSeal and walked out with a new kayak because it was on sale and it was what I was looking for. Your second boat might be more of an impulse buy than your first. I don't regret it though because now it's my goto boat.
BTW, I have a Villain, Mamba, and Fuse. Bought in that order. If I were to redo my purchases I would do the Mamba & Fuse and forgo the Villain. I'm not ready for class V creeking. However I still use my Villain and would put that as a third/fourth boat.
manelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #6
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2006
I think that a Zen would be a great choice for river running or a hero-little hero-super hero for creeking. hope this helps

Kayaker97 is offline   Reply With Quote