Old 01-27-2013   #11
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
What they said

Regarding Portland.
Like Seattle but not as wet or as many people.
Drug of choice - coffee also.
More micro brews than Bend and boy are they good.

If you can handle the rain and drizzle plus the people and traffic its about as nice a place that big anywhere. Tremendous forested parks, every shade of green, exercise mania usually in the form of some foot race in the rain almost every weekend. Nike spoken.

What gets one about most of what is Portland is intelligence.

The Willamette hasn't really been cleaned up enough to interest boaters that are low in the water.

The Pacific in Oregon isn't inviting waters but it is inspirational. Northern Oregon Coast is overdeveloped but its 1-2 hours away and you can go on short notice based on tomorrows weather report.

The rivers nearby get used a lot by all kinds and one seems to have yearly drowning festivals. By drinkers or kids, not boaters.

With Portland, if you're a river runner think a little more gas.

On the way south on I-5 to the Umpqua for Steelhead/Salmon fishing or the Rogue and Illinois for good/serious rafting you could stop at one of the well over 200 Oregon wineries off to the side. Think about a good dry suit for the Oregon Westside for mentioned and other streams.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #12
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989

Bend is the most diverse city East of Portland. They have the most retail, food, medical care, and housing of anyone East of the Cascade Range. Keep in mind, it's a berg. Salem is 2 hours away, and Portland is 3 hours away. You don't have much in the way of towns and people within an hour of Bend. You get snow in town in the winter, pretty good thunder, and beautiful Summer weather. There is a lot of outdoor activity with the mountains and desert nearby, and even climbing. My Mom lives in Prineville, about 20 miles away. That town is slowly dying.
I live near Portland, and I typically go there if I have to. I am not a city person. I go there to pick people up, go to the raft store, maybe do something at the Rose Garden Arena. Other than that, I am not a fan. I like the southern Suburbs of Portland, like Tigard, Wilsonville, and Tualatin. I live about 45 minutes south of downtown Portland, so the coast is 60 miles away from my doorstep.
So it takes me about an hour to be sitting on my favorite beach, or an hour to be rigging a raft to hit one of my favorite rivers, the Upper Clackamas. Vancouver is a great option to live in, then you are close to work in Portland but life is more Suburban over there.

Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #13
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My brother-in-law lives in Bend. We are there a bunch and based off our experiences and his "local beta".....the whole area is exceptionally overrated. Most of locals are great, especially the lesbians, but the abundance of richies is overwhelming and exceptionally annoying, especially at the ghetto Albertsons and Safeways.

There is an ton of recreational activities if you don't mind fighting for them/sharing them with the Californians.

As mentioned. Great Brewery's exist. Most are overrun with the types mentioned above. Believe it or not, the bowling ally in Bend is great, "Lava Lanes".. It has a full bar & grill and a superb wait staff, which is rare..

I would pick somewhere other than Bend in the mountain/river country if I had my choice, unless your a looking for a home in a "smell your fart" / redneck ass community!
Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #14
Grand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for all the comments! The last one regarding the "smell your own farts" cracks me up. Bend sounds a little like Boulder. I hope they don't have the same beliefs when it comes to dogs. I've had to pay approximately $2000 in dog fees in that despicable town! I don't ever plan on taking my pooch to see a doggy therapist again! What a bunch of nutcases!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #15
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Bend is about as far from redneck as you can get and everyone owns a dog, but I don't know for fact that they don't inhale anal vapor, recreationally or otherwise.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #16
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by BryanS. View Post
Bend is about as far from redneck as you can get and everyone owns a dog, but I don't know for fact that they don't inhale anal vapor, recreationally or otherwise.
I'd suggest that Bend is a decent mix of liberal and conservative for most of the people that live there. What isn't that attractive is the people that don't live there but have a second home or vacation there in style.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #17
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I know a few people there, but they are all transplants. I live in a small town about thirty miles from there. If you wanna see rednecks, just come here. can't speak for the people of Bend, but the area is awesome. So much to do in such a short distance. Its central location is perfect for exploring OR, WA, CA and ID. Best part: its always sunny in the warm months. Something like 300 days of sunshine a year; ) Close to the water, but you don't have to live in a perpetual rainshower. Its a little big for my taste, but I wouldn't mind living on the outskirts or in Sisters or Tumalo near by.

BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote