Old 07-01-2015   #11
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm not certain on the D series, but the spec's show you are in the weight range of 100-180lbs.

bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #12
Essen, Germany
Paddling Since: 2009
dunno what it's like in the U.S., but back here in Yurrup the Diesel is a respected and very popular allround boat for a wide range of paddlers, and the main argument people use against it is that it makes things too easy for a beginner and doesn't punish bad behavior sufficiently.
The Eskimo should probably last you quite a bit because it is blow-molded and thus more durable plastic than most other boats out there. And at least back here it's still popular with your average Joe.

That said, the Diesel sounds like a much better deal, but check out if the hull is still intact, or how deep the scratches are.

Docennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #13
pnw, Washington
With those choices I say Diesel.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #14
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Unfortunately the guy with the diesel got back to me and it's sold. It looks like my options are the project (3 hours away w/ no gear), or the Eskimo (local and w/ a skirt). Both at $350 price tag. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'm stoked to get into the sport and wouldn't have known where to to begin.
loadofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015   #15
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The project is not a bad boat for up to -IV, IV once you develop general skills unless it's continuous and you have hole punching or boofing to do. Although designed as a play boat these days I would call it a river play boat for the average paddler who wants to throw some tricks on a wave or in the eddies and still run some drops.

If you have sights on creeking and river running and your drops are more of a continuous nature instead of pool drop the salto will likely take care of you a bit better and you can progress to more challenging water, it's just not going to be as reactive. The salto will sit higher in the water which will keep you dryer, eddies and laterals won't throw you off as much and it's stability will be better overall. You also have more space for gear for extended trips

My preference would be the project, but I am by no means a hard charger. Diesel was a good option for a more inbetweener, dagger Mamba or Jackson fun would not be a bad option either of you come across one. Just make sure you fall in the appropriate weight range.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015   #16
Steamboat, Colorado
Whitewater Kayaks for sale

This place might have a winner for you
The Wavesport EZ or EZG would be good- both $350
A Remix for $500
looks like they have a few others that aren't listed...

This EZ comes with a skirt
Wave Sport EZ Kayak w/Snap Dragon Spray Deck

If this is the Salto you're lookin at I think it looks pretty nice and it's probably one of their newer versions, though I don't think it's the newest
Whitewater kayak
I would go take a look and sit in it at least.

I've been keeping my eye out for a friend that lives in Bellingham...
Seems like folks over there sell their boats the way we sell our Subarus here in Colorado... way too fuckin inflated on the price. Saw a Prijon Alien for $200! We have one of these bad boys sitting in our garage currently, and would never even dream of asking $200 for it... maybe $50 or trade for a sack of weed, or something...
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #17
portland, Oregon
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I ended up driving 7 hours round trip Saturday to make myself the proud new owner of a 2013 Wavesport Diesel D75, and can't wait to get on the water.

I'm taking a pool class this Wednesday to learn the basics of rolling and wet exits, and plan on getting out to a lake the next couple weekends to hone the skill.

The one thing I'm unsure of now is how to select a spray skirt. Since I'm not finding any write ups on the topic I'm thinking it's all based on personal preference? But how do I make sure the skirt will fit my boat?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 07-06-2015   #18
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Nice choice. I just want to add this for the previous posters....since not all advice is good advice. -k- seemed to have it correct though.

The project and project X are 2 totally different boats. Project X is modern playboat, while project is a play/runner design.

The white WS outfitting initially did not have the leg lifters. I know this because by 2012 has the white outfitting but does not have the lifters. This was a later addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #19
There's not too much to look at regarding spray skirts other than does it fit snugly around your waist and snugly on the cockpit of your boat.

There's differences in the thickness of the skirt and how strong the shock cord is, but that won't matter to you for a while. It might never matter to you, depending on how hard of whitewater you paddle. I used the same entry level skirt for ~10 years, and just switched to a slightly nicer one last year.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #20
portland, Oregon
So should I be taking my kayak with me to a shop to size it, or can I rely on the company's sizing chart and order one online?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app