Old 07-18-2005   #21
90 degrees

chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
One golden rule that applies less to paddling technique than these other posts, look where you want to go. If you see a rock (or dam) and don't want to hit it, don't look at it. Look where you want to go.

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #23
Watching EJ Video......
Old 07-18-2005   #24
Boulder, Colorado
I think that because river kayaks are made to turn quickly, that makes them more difficult to aim in a straight line. To go in a straight line I use a lot of micro-corrections- a bit of a sweep to get myself back in line, maybe a bit of ruddering. I use the forward stroke that Don and Livingston described most of the time though.

Do you always turn the same direction when you get off line? everyone is stronger in one arm than the other, which makes the stroke on one side slightly stronger than the other.

If you notice that you always turn in the same direction you might need to compensate and make the stroke on your weak side a bit stronger and vice versa. I had that problem a LOT when I was learning! Now that compensation is second nature.

If you'd like to get together sometime and work on the forward stroke I'd be happy to help you with it. maybe at soda lakes after work sometime?

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #25
Thanks Lauren,
We have to go out boating sometime. As EJ would say, " in at the toes out at the hips..." .
Old 07-18-2005   #26
Hey Chad, Like Don said paddle in at the toes out before the hip and that will help. The COyakers paddle thing is being moved to Sun and to Chatfeild ponds be there and I will try to help you with the "EDGE" control issue and show you the strokes.

If you watch the BIG boys go down a river they look like they are going down at an angle and leaning upstream a little and keeping that upstream paddle in the water to help with control/bracing and act as a little rudder kinda.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #27
I'm learning spin momentum right now....So it just isn’t me. That’s what the boat wants to do.
Old 07-20-2005   #28
Good advice above but when I had the same problem a buddy told me that it was fine to take a second or third stroke on the same side to correct my dirrection. When I stopped worring about windmilling my paddle it worked and I got where I wanted to go, plus you don't lose any speed. Might be old school and they don't teach it on the videos but as time goes by and you take that extra stroke you'll find that you do it less and less, making small corrections with every stroke.

The M3 is a great boat and will take you down any river. I paddle mine on anything up to IV, your on the water have fun and #@$#@ anyone that gives you a hard time about your boat.

ksmartin is offline   Reply With Quote