Old 08-23-2007   #1
Johnson City, Tennessee
Beginner needing some help

Hello I am trying to get into the world of Kayaking, and i have numerous questions. Right now im wanting to kayak in Lakes, rivers, and creeks (Rapids are minimal to moderate on the rivers and creeks). I have been looking for the right kayak for me and i cant seem to make up my mind. Im 26 years old and small (5'4" 140-150lbs). One of my questions in what is a right kayak for me. Im looking for one that is all-around (see above), right for my size, and is not gonna cost me an arm and a leg (looking for something less that $750 if possible), and is comfortable. Second is what kind of gear am i going to need. For those of you Familiar with Northeast TN (Probably none of you, but going to ask anyway), Here are the names of the lakes and rivers im going to be using the kayaks on. Lakes - Boone, South Holston, Cherrokee, Fort Patrick Henry. Rivers - Holston, Northfork and Southfork, Nolechukey and some others. Again what would be the right boat for me for the water I specified. Again I am a beginner and have never been in a Kayak in my life, but its something i have been wanting to do for some time. Thanks in advance.

Unica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
don't buy if your not fly

i wouldn't buy one until you try it first than demo demo demo , peace

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Demo as many as you can.

If by all-round you mean river running and play, I would recomend at least trying a Dagger Rx and/or Juice and maybe a Jackson Fun. For the type of paddling you seem to want to do (assuming no playboating and some lake), though, I would recomend trying a Mamba, Diesel, EZ or some of the older Wavesport boats.

Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #4
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Like they said demo demo I have a fun it works good on rivers.
2 Trailer Park Girls Go Round The Out Side!! "M"
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #5
front range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
re: beginner questions

The east is a wonderful place to paddle. Gear wise ..

helmet, life vest, sunscreen and bug repllent for camping! Carry sythentics for storms, bushwacking.
I had to walk out a couple of times - or had too much sun. A dry top or paddling jacket are useful for early and late season or moonlight runs. You have to dry out your gear after use or it can develop a funky mold. Colorado is great for the getting gear dry but it is more humid there. Tie your glasses on.

The guys are spot on to tell you try out all the boats you can. "which boat is right for you" is a
tough question, it depends upon what you are looking for. Probably the cheapest way to get a boat are some older models like the Hurricane, Dancer or Dancer XS. They would also make easy crusing on lakes and you can carry gear in them. This site has stats on alot of boats, - real information for real paddlers

If you've never done this before at all you might consider finding a club or take courses
through a paddleshop to get acquainted with gear and basic tecnique. You'll meet other river runners this way too. If you have friends who paddle and you trust them not to kill you they might be able to hook you up.

Sometimes there are deals online for whole packages and most kayak shops have bulletin
boards. I've seen "whole deals" for $250 or $300.

paddle safe
whitewater golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #6
Most people on this site kayak to run whitewater, so this might not be the best place to ask your question since it sounds like you want to kayak lakes and (I'm assuming) relatively flat rivers.

I have almost zero experience with touring kayaks, but from what you've posted that sounds like what you want. It's going to go much faster, be more stable, and be able to carry more gear than a whitewater kayak. You should be able to run up to class II rapids in it no problem, and could probably handle stuff a bit harder with some experience.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #7
Johnson City, Tennessee
Thanks for all the info everyone its really been helpful. I had thought about Touring kayaks but i was thinking about moving onto something more swift and less placid once i get experience in kayaking, which i why i wanted a good reccomendation for a good all around kayak. Again thanks everyone for your valued info.

Unica is offline   Reply With Quote