Old 08-02-2007   #21
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Boat ideas

The Aire Lynx is a great inflatable kayak, I often take one or two of my kids down the river with me in it on easy water or at the lake, and it supports the weight well - I'm 250+, the two of them come close to 50lbs.
If you get the thigh straps to go with the inflatable kayak you'll have even more control of the boat - just have to remember to reach up and release them when you tip over.
As for hard shell boats - the WaveSport SuperEz, WaveSport EZG60, the Jackson SuperFun - all are great boats and you should do fine with them. Best way to get started is to take some classes/lessons in the pool or a similar controlled environment, learn the paddle strokes and more.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #22
ski/kayak bum
I'm 250lbs+. but I'm also 6 inches taller than you. I have a hard time fitting in most ww kayaks. And I'm certainly never very comfortable. If you're going to be boating 3/4 rivers, you certainly do need to lose weight. not only that but you need to get your activity levels up so that you're strong, coordinated and your cardo/stamina are appropriate for this activity. I'm not ragging on you because I can empathize. My dad who is 340lbs would be getting the same advice from me. in this sport, you'll be happier if you do the prep work to really enjoy it. I'm at the point where I'm following my own advice. I want to go sky diving (as you mentioned) and I can't until I drop enough pounds that the schools will let me jump. I just started another new sport that requires weight classes. I'm trying to get back down to 210 that way i can compete against guys that size. Use kayaking as the carrot at the end of your journey.

d99- if you're in madison, check out my uncles shop. John's Paddlin. He is awesome and he'll get you all setup.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #23
lubbock, Texas
Paddling Since: 2000
2007 Jackson SuperFun and Wavesport T-4 and SuperEZ are among the widest boats ever built. The EZG60 is actually narrower than the SuperEZ or T-4. I am 6'3" 240 pounds. Most of my weight is middle and upper body. I have to pad out the seat of the SuperFun and SuperEz quite a bit to fit in snugly. I wear 38-40 inch underwear; 38" waist pants.

My guess is that the 2007 SuperFUn is the best choice to try, because it is 70 gallons. Good form is going to be essential since paddler weight will unbalance the boat easily.
rocky_super_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #24
pnw, Washington
for the 250 guy I would recommend a large burn.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote