Old 05-07-2007   #1
Silverthorne, Colorado
Begginer questions

hey yo whats up guys. so i am just starting to get into whitewater kayaking this season. i have done a couple of flatwater class I and II trips but that is about it. i am just looking for some tips on what kind of gear i should get, tips on how to roll, and where are some good beginner sections. i just got back from raftin cataract canyon and man was it SICK. thanks guys !

rivermountaingnar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #2
pnw, Washington
what kind of gear do you have? what do you need to add? go to a pool session and learn to roll. milk run.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
right now i pretty much need the whole setup, boat, skirt, and paddle. im gonna be raft guidn on clear creek this summer so i pretty much have all the rest of the gear i need. wheres milk run?
Old 05-07-2007   #4
Welcome to the forum. Glad you had the confidence to ask these questions. Having fun on the water and this forum is for everyone.

For gear, the main thing is a good helmet, PFD, dry top, and a thermal layer under the dry top. We have cold water. If you have good gear, you don't care about the cold water. Also, you may want gloves/poggies and a hood for under your helmet.

Yea, spend a lot of time in the pool. Take a run, figure out what you need to work on, then hit the pool. A roll class is critical. There are a lot of good videos. Ask your local kayak shop for help--they are all good and want to help you.

If you are on the front range, the good gentle runs are Clear Creek from Tunnel 1 down, the Chutes, and the South Platte after the water level drops. The Milk run on the Ark is also good. Pumphouse on the Colorado is another one.

The main thing is to let the interest come from within you. Do what you want to do and feel comfortable with. Go for it!
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #5
Silverthorne, Colorado
right on, thanks alot for the info so when im looking for a good beginner yak should i be looking for more a creeker or more of a playboat? and what do you suggest are the best?
Old 05-07-2007   #6
No, you don't want a creek boat. Yea, they are a little easier to roll, but they are long, hard to turn, and don't surf. Most people who have creekers are class V boaters going on steep creeks.

Get a "river runner", like the Jackson Fun or WaveSport EZG. Don't get Dagger--not a good company. River runners are easy to roll, they can surf, and are easy to turn. You may not be able to do all tricks on waves with them like you can with a play boat, but they are a good balance.

Kayak stores are pretty good about getting you in the right boat. Stores will also let you try their boats at a pool and you can rent demos for a 1-2 day trip for a cheap price. Demos are good for getting a good fit.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #7
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

Don't get Dagger--not a good company.
Basil, I agree with the advice that you are giving for the most part. I'm just curious why you would say that Dagger is not a good company? That statement does not seem fair. Why would you say that? P.S. I dont work for Dagger.
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #8
on your sister, ...
Roaring Fork River - Cemetery Run Whitewater River e-Guidebook

Colorado River - Grizzly Creek to New Castle Whitewater River e-Guidebook

grizzly creek to south canyon take out is a easy, fun II-III run. South canyon rapid is a real easy,open III that can be missed if you just run it river left. the rest of the run above is easy,open II or less.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #9
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Hmmm...good advice, but I too take issue with the "Don't get Dagger" statement. All companies have their strengths and weaknesses. Dagger has been good to me and my peeps in the past. If you're going to make a statement about the quality of a company, you'd better offer up some supporting evidence.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #10
Edwards, Colorado
I agree with TJ and Count...what's wrong with Dagger?

Hobie has done an amazing job in the past couple of years and the new Agent is a great boat, not to mention dry. I just bought one and couldn't be happier.

If you are going to post a statement (especially to a newbie) like that, please have the courtesy to state a reason why you think that way.

We all have opinions...but not all of us have reasons for those opinions.

I agree with the "river runner" comment as far as boats go. Learning in a displacement hull boat (the hull on most creekers) is actually a bit better for your learning curve.It will help your stroke technique get better since you can't rely on the edges of the boat to help you turn it. If you learn in a displacement hull and then go to a planing hull(the hull on most, if not all, river runners and playboats), you'll be a bit of a better paddler.

Good river runners are the Jackson Fun series, the Wavesport EZG, Wavesport EZ if you can find one used.

Go into a shop and talk to them. There are some great ones in the Front Range. Also check out the Mtn Buzz sway section above for used gear. I am guessing that if you are guiding this summer you don't have a ton of cash to spend on gear but you might.

Lastly, take a class. All of your friends will want to teach you to boat but what will probably end up happening is you will pick up their bad habits. Always good to learn the basis for something instead of just doing something...

Just my $0.02. Good luck...paddlin' is addicting!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Dagger but do paddle a Dagger boat.

outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote