Old 05-29-2011   #41
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by knappco View Post
I don't like tall boys (24 OZ) in the summer cuz the bottom is always warm flat nasty ass.
drink faster

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #42
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My calculations have always been a case and a half a day per two people, plus the handles for fire sitting and relaxing. but don't forget the 2 cases for pre launch night party also.

Brushfire830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #43
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The main thing to remember is you can't buy more!!!! 20 days is a long time. We did the canyon in march when it was cold and consumed about 10 per day per person, plus 3 handles per person total. Bet that number will go up when it's hot. Plus it's nice to have some currancy down there. Take into account lost and broken beers as well. And make sure to bring some canvas bags for empty cans for recycle.
Have fun! I'm going to go do a shot of Jack to wash away the sadness of our trip being over!
maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #44
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Brushfire830 View Post
..... but don't forget the 2 cases for pre launch night party also.
I guess it's my crew too, but we have had at least a couple of prelaunch beer scares when over exuberant celebration at arriving at the put in caused unbridled consumption and subsequent 'beer scare' to the point where various members had to drive to town to acquire more beverages.

Originally Posted by richp View Post
Three cans were used to cook the brats on night 7. Two were consumed below Lava in memory of our buddy Marshall, who couldn't make the trip. And one was safely returned to Flagstaff.
Rich Phillips
I don't trust artists with just one name, european ski instructors and anyone who would take so little and then return with a single beer. That beer did not want to return to Flagstaff. That beer wanted the trip through your body and filtering mechanisms and to be returned into Lake Mead and ultimately to the Mother. If you didn't drink at all would be easier to understand than this. Bless you Rich, I know you are the real deal, but this causes me much confusion.

Originally Posted by raftus View Post
The people who tick me off are the ones who say you can only bring 2 beers a day on their trip. True story from a friend who went on the grand last summer - 2 beer a day limit. TL's rule. I'm surprised there wasn't a mutiny.
I guest guided on a commercial low water Middle Fork with someone I hadn't worked for before. Since it was a fly in to Thomas ( further down than Indian) and I knew it would be a bastard of unloading and schlepping down the trail and hot......I brought beer. As in a case maybe case and a half or so. I mean you don't fly in to the Middle Fork and bring a six pack. Who does that?

My fellow guest guides were all quite happy to partake of the frothy cold goodness. Empties were stashed, some was put on ice and all was well until night one after the peeps flew in. Their lead guides had flown in the the guests so they knew nothing about what was in my cooler. I knew nothing about their repressive drinking policy. One of the leads informed me that they didn't allow beer on the river. No problem I didn't drink at all on the river. No, no he says. Our guides aren't allowed to drink on the trip at all. Even at night.

My reply - Maybe that's why you are having trouble finding people to work for you! And why you had to call my sorry retired ass. I have 3/4 of a case of ice cold Bud left and unless you want to fly me out right now, I will drink it only at night and very discretely if you wish, but I am not quitting drinking right now for the rest of the trip.

I had guests begging beers off me at night since the outfitter ( if you can call them that) brought not a single beer, bottle of wine or fifth of booze for the guests. Some peoples kids, I swear.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #45
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't drink so I am a great guy to have along when the supply runs low.

As a frequent TL and very lucky permit holder my policy is no drinking until we arrive at camp for the day. I know some people think they need some lubrication to get going but they do fine if they must refrain for a few hours. I realize the vast majority of rafters can handle a 6 pack with no discernable effect but that is because most rafters seem a little buzzed all the time.

My logic is that on my trip if something terrible goes wrong I don't want anyone (including myself) to feel that they could have done anything better or differently. A split second makes a difference in some cases and I don't want it to be hampered by any amount of mind altering substance.

As a former lead guide I hated seeing other guides who were getting paid to be responisble for people quickly become unable to be responsible for themselves at camp. It adds to my work load, makes them less trustworthy to the guests and makes them pretty rough the next day.

This might be OK for private trips with a crack of noon start but I don't see the appeal. I have been on many dry trips and they are just as fun. A few beers at camp and some mixed drinks by the fire is probably the right amount.

I have come across too many trips that are struggling to deal with the drunk guy who is endangering himself and everyone else or groups that have had river drama when drinking gets heavy and mistakes are made.

6 per person per day sounds right.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #46
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
I always get hammered right off the bat. Shots of fireball and gladiators first thing in the AM. That way I always have a good excuse to a great pin or flip
And always bring at least 8 beers extra per person for the pre launch party.
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #47
lol, cracks me up
Blueball, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 76ad
That's all your taking?

Malt liqour! Your just drinking that to get drunk!
"I didn't want to say it to his face,but wild horses couldn't drag me to Texas!" From movie Cheyenne Social Club
cracksmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #48
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
What a great read... I am chuckling at these posts.

Here's what I have found on the river. I will usually drink my first beer each day promptly upon launching the boat in the mid to late morning. (Occasionally I will have a couple with my eggs though.) I like to drink Modus Hoperandi, Dale's Pale, and the like. Now, these beers have a high alcohol content - upwards of 6.5%. Consequently, drinking these beers all day and into the night for me is not practical. This is why I also carry a 'utility' beer, one that has a lower alcohol content. Many people like PBR, but I choose the Banquet Beer - Coors Original. It has a crispness to it when served ice cold that I enjoy.

Now, don't laugh, but I also pack another beverage used primarily to hydrate - Big K soda water in the can. Usually no one knows but me that I'm drinking them - I can pull one out, quickly put it in my koozie and pop it open and cheers along with everyone while covertly drinking water, and thusly maintaining a level of sobriety that is quite refreshing sometimes, and as a previous poster noted, somewhat important for certain sections of water.

So, for me, on a river trip, I ration for one 6 pack of good micro brew, one sixer of utility beer, and 4 cans of my trusty Big K soda water per day. Then I multiply this amount by 1.5, because I sure as shit don't want to run out. (I don't drink booze, unless somebody's making margs or bloody's I may have one, or I'll maybe take a swig from a flask 'round the fire if i'm feeling on'ry...)
RockyMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #49
Cascade, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
we went for 21 days and took 42 cases of 12oz cans for 12 people and ran out on the last day. yes we know Bill W or at least when he was drinking.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #50
Iowa City, Iowa
I have noticed many river runners not only have the ability to consume many cans, but also manage to keep the emptys out of the river.

Sagebrusher is offline   Reply With Quote