Old 04-06-2009   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
kettle house from missoula makes an ipa and a scottish ale in cans. Never seen pu in a can would be nice. check out tap-a-draft systems for your favorites filled at your local brewery. uses co2 or nitrogen cartridges stays fresh for weeks!
With the volume of microbreweries in the NW I am definitely going to look into this!!!

Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #12
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
we are running cataract on wed and just spent $1K on beer and booze, 26 30 packs and about 2 handles of every flavor. 12 people @ 10 PBR's a day. the light drinkers make up for the heavy drinkers and everyone gets sauced on cocktails at camp...yeeehaww!!!

happy spring safe travels on the water

tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We did about 6-7 beers a day and about enough booze for 6 mixed drinks a night on my GC trip. Worked well. Some of the booze ended up in baileys/peppermint schnapps/hot chocolate morning drinks - November mornings can be cold.

There was a beer in flagstaff with a turtle on the 30-packs that we thought was good for the money - $16 for 30 beers. Forgot the name, I think we got it at the Safeway on the east side of town.

We had our shuttle folks bring a bunch of cold beer with them to the takeout. Always nice to know that you will have cold beer at the end of an epic trip.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #14
Rotorua, NZ

make sure you have enough booze, 3 handles each sounds like a good #, we ran out and were itching for some hard stuff, plenty of beer though, and we had 12 pack per person per day, definitely don't want to run out of beer down there. Also, bring a bunch of lime juice in the little bottles, it spices it up a bit and can make a nice refreshing addition to most canned beers. and make sure you have plenty of whiskey, at least a bottle per night. have fun
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #15
backcountry ski bum
I don't drink alcohol and one of these days I'm going to put together a no booze trip. Think of how much lighter your boats will be.
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #16
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Keg beer is great. For our GC trip we had 20 five gallon micro-brew kegs for 12 people (plus personal stash). Drop a keg to chill and settle when you get to camp, tap & enjoy all evening, fill up water bottles in the morning for the day. Worked well. Thinking about a CO2 system to keep bigger kegs fresh longer.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #17
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by stillkicken View Post
I don't drink alcohol and one of these days I'm going to put together a no booze trip. Think of how much lighter your boats will be.
I'm getting the DTs just thinking about your no-booze trip!
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #18

I claim the record for making a full GC trip with the least amount of adult beverages. On my 23-day GC trip in '07, we managed to get down with one six pack.

Three cans were used to cook the brats on night 7. Two were consumed below Lava in memory of our buddy Marshall, who couldn't make the trip. And one was safely returned to Flagstaff.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #19
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992

One of my wife's friends manages a bar and she always gets us large cases of canned Negro for cheap from the distributor. I live in Utah and it sucks paying $2 each at the state liquor store for the good stuff.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #20
Go with 10 per person per day. You always need to have some to share and factor in the losses. For instance, some JKASS stole our drag bag at MatKat last fall. Don't forget to bring plenty of Guinness!

Big Da
Big Da is offline   Reply With Quote