Old 03-20-2011   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Beer me: Grand Canyon

I'm headed down the Grand Canyon in a month for the first time (25 day trip). I'm not sure how much or what beer to order. Being a chick, and a lightweight at that, my guess is that I'd drink about four beers a day, plus plenty of red wine at night. PBR is my cheap beer of choice, so I think I'll order a couple cases of that, but life is too short to drink cheap beer all the time. I'm a big fan of dark beers: brown ales, black ales, porters, and stouts. Not a fan of IPA's.

Here's a list of the beer we have to choose from (Cork 'N Bottle, Flagstaff):
Modelo Especial
Bud Light
Michelob Ultra Light
Coors (30pk)
Anchor Steam
Amstel Light
Coors Light
Dundee Honey Brown
MGD (30pk)
Dales Pale Ale
Miller Light
Steam Engine Lager
Modelo Especial
Old Milwaukee
Newcastle Brown Ale
Anchor Steam

I think I'll go for some Boddingtons, Guinness, Newcastle, Anchor Steam, and Dundee Honey Brown. the trouble is, I'm not sure what comes in cases, what comes in 4- 6- or 12- packs (since when you find some of these beers its usually in bottles). Does anyone have experience ordering from this company? Any suggestions?

Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Dale's Pale by the 12 pack. Goes well with frosted mini wheats.

Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
27 beer choices for 25 days. Hmmm . . . ditch two of the light beers and you are good to go!
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #4
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Amstel Light comes in cans. I like Modelo Especial in warm weather. Dales is a good suggestion as well as their other beers, though more expensive, there is much more alcohol by content, so worth it in weight savings and bang for the buck.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #5
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
I'm guessing your gonna drink more than 4 a day...
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Corona cans seem thinner and more prone to breakage. Took some on the Middle Fork last spring and had a very bad loss rate.

Think about the season as well - summer is really hot in the canyon even at night. Personally I tend to like lighter beer and white wine in the heat. Reds and fuller beer in coolers temps.

4 beers a day is conservative. Might be perfect for you, but remember you can't buy more in the canyon and beer is a great bartering item. I'd plan for 12 drinks a day, it's always better to end with with some leftover beer/alcohol at the end than to run out.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #7
fun hog
D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Cold Tecate with some limes go down real nice. Compromise on a sixer a day and that will still leave (a lightweight) some trade bait. But drag those tecates and let the river chill them down...the limes will work well with tequila too!
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #8
Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971

Call the folks at Cork 'n Bottle and they'll tell you what beers come in what kind of pack. They'll also tell you what they have or don't have in stock. Can't speak for all the employees there but everyone I've dealt with has been helpful.

Cork 'n Bottle 928 774 8502

They also have a couple of different brands of boxed wines. Ask them and they'll tell you which is better. Surprisingly they told me the least expensive was the best the last time I bought from them. Can't remember what it was now though.

Have fun on your trip!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #9
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You will most definitely want more than 4 beers per day. At the very least, double your beer figures to account for losses (they will happen), sharing (always happens), trading, increased tolerance over the course of the trip, and that you really have nothing else to do but float and drink ALL DAY. Cans are better than bottles for weight and trash purposes. Cheap light beer in the heat of the day trumps thick, dark, or hoppy beer. You will want your beer to taste like water when it is 105 degrees.
Swobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #10
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I am a huge beer nerd, but when it comes to all day session drinking warm weather and/or sun I will be reaching for lagers, pilsners, pale ales and possibly the right IPA. If the weather you get is cooling off at night, then a few heavier beers around the campfire might be what the doctor ordered. Honestly though, you are going to go through so many beers, best not to get too spendy.

PBR, Modelo, Tecate etc.

If you get big cans you can cut the number of trips to the cooler.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote