Old 05-05-2011   #51
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
We had myself and one chica friend on my raft for the grand, and our beer supply plan worked out perfect-

6 beers/person/day
1/6 of a handle of hard alc/day
2 bags of wine (= 3 majorly drunk wine days)

And then we got to the put-in and bought 3 cases of safety beer.

We had exactly a six-pack at the take out to share!
Take into account that some days you will be hiking/running bigger stuff/hungover and won't drink as much... but on the flipside some days you will be doing a layover/flatwater/partying after big rapids.

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #52
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Leaving for the Rogue in a few hours with a cooler full of Anderson Valley IPA, Hazed and Infused, DAB (Pils), Dale's Pale, Caldera, Fort George Lager, and Rainier.

Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #53
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
We have Beemer loving some NM canned beer.... Happy Camper IPA and Java Stout, both from the Santa Fe Brewing company
Quoted for truth. Happy Camper IPA is one the finest canned beers around. that, and the Modus Hoperandi from Ska are my favorites.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #54
Louisville, Colorado
Praise the canned microbrew revolution! We are blessed with so many great canned beers these days. As the Dales can says- PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT. We definitely recycle too!
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #55
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I only use blue moon in cases when you need to induce vomiting.

If I wanted a fruity beer I'd bring wine
To each his own- I personally hate wine.....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #56
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
frikkin hilarious you are!!!
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #57
Nobody has mentioned kegs? The past 2 MFS trips we've done have been with kegs - we did 3 kegs on our trip last summer with a jockey box strapped to the frame. Environmentally friendly draft beer on the river, no trash, no cans, no hassle, just tasty ice-cold beer. (Most of the time, we'll de-rig and stow the system for the major rapids.)

We got lucky and got a Grand permit for this September and are planning on kegs again. Anybody have any experience with kegs on the Grand? Are the rangers cool if you roll up with 8 kegs and an on-river kegerator system complete with redundant backup parts and emergency taps?

Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #58
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The last beer rigging thread we had addressed kegs:
Beer rigging
Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #59
Bozeman, Montana
Well, I'm back into civilization (Las Vegas = Hell, but Red Rocks = climbing heaven and a relief from the chaos). 25 days on the river, took out at Pierce Ferry yesterday.

Our boat had 3 people (lightweights) and 4 beers per person per day, and about 5 boxes of wine. We ended up with at least 2 cases of PBR left, and a case or so of good beer. I guess we discovered that we'd rather just row and look at the scenery and have energy for good hikes instead of being wasted by noon, like most of our other companions. I enjoy beer, but I'm glad I went for quality instead of quantity. Everyone likes to have a good time once in a while, but i got sick of dealing with drunk people by about day 15. (whisperings of mutiny, defecting, and the renaming of my duckie, the Red October). The canyon itself was enough entertainment for me and I'm hooked on this whole boating thing. So if anyone wants to take a scantily clad swedish gal on a river trip, I'm game! (Ok, i'm really Dutch but... close enough.)
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #60
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
So if anyone wants to take a scantily clad swedish gal on a river trip, I'm game! (Ok, i'm really Dutch but... close enough.)
Pictures or you are nothing but a wicked tease.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote