Old 03-21-2011   #31
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seriously, Cookie - you're not shopping for bottled beer, are you? Ranger Lady at Lee's Ferry will just take one look at that and start backing her pickup over to your gear pile.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #32
Lakewood, Colorado
Just got off the canyon and just recommend you take more then less. Last year we ran out and this year we had plenty! Dark beers are better for night as it can get pretty toasty during the day. We had over 100 degrees this past week. Amazing trip you are going to love it!

melcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #33
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by mommydevo View Post
10 beers per person per day. I don't drink that much beer either but with my boyfriend around it somehow always works out. I second the BL lime suggestion, since I'm usually the one making fun of them at first and then bumming them later. It's like a sports drink really.
"It's like a sports drink really." <- You just made my day.

Speaking of sports drinks - Gatorade and vodka (mix and match flavors) - really is a sports drink with a kick. And since you can get powdered Gatorade you can save on weight - Glacier freeze and blueberry vodka is usually well received. On the powdered front you can also buy powdered margarita mix then just add tequila, triple sec and water - shake it up in your Nalgene and you get Nalgeritas.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #34
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by melcol View Post
We had over 100 degrees this past week. Amazing trip you are going to love it!
100 for realz last week???? Holy crap. I have friends in the middle canyon right now. They will either be dying from the heat or loving it.

Back to beer:
A Guiness or Boddingtons is a perfect transitional beverage from coffee to beer during rigging in the morning.

Bring more than 4 a day. 8-10 minimum.

Other than for rigging up and for before launching, do not take glass.
I had some tasty Fat Cat Lager in a can recently.

Get some other feedback here:
Pale Lager - Ratings - Pictures - Information -

If you aren't a member you only see the top 25 in each category, but you can search any beer you haven't tasted for info in the search box.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #35
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
1 oz beer per lb of body weight, per person/per day.
Its science.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #36
Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
Assuming 15 people for 25 days...8 beers/person*25*15=3000. One beer = .78 pounds. 3000*.78=2340pounds. One metric ton = 2204 pounds.

That's a ton of delicious beer.

Yeah, Thank God there's no portages.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #37
dover, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1996
I got beers from the Cork n Bottle in June for a 16day GC trip. I could have bought beer anywhere but I was in search of the good selection. I waited to get it the morning of Rig Day which was almost a disaster. We were planning to leave before Cork N Bottle opened. I called and luckily the owner was there packing for other trips and told me to come by even though he wasn't opening for an hour. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I brought 4 cases of beer, 2 PBR, 1 Fat Tire and 1 Big Sky. I drank the PBR's early in the day as not to too wasted early on and eased into the others the closer I got to camp. I also brought 2 bottles of Rum. The only thing I wish I brought was a bottle of Tequila for "Tequila Beach"
surfnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #38
Free and Easy
Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Synopsis: all you need to do is buy from New Belgium.

Mid-day float beer is nothing but Sunshine Wheat. There is no other such refreshing and drinkable river beer available in the world.

I would strongly suggest Ranger IPA for breakfast, it's stout like cowboy coffee. Try a pre-trip trial, if you don't agree with it (because no matter what you say, it agrees with you!) NB has a Pale Ale with a little less bite. Opt for it.

You'll want something a little less summery for evenings on the sand: 1554.

Easy as it gets, you might even contact New Belgium and see if you can get a sponsorship. Handing someone a nice thick 1554 after swimming Lava might make you a celeb.
RiverCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #39
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Is there some reason you have to buy your beer there, rather than bringing it from home?

For canned beers, my favorite is Speight's Old Dark (NZ). Fat Tire is also great. Old Chub Scotch Ale is nice. Dale's Pale is so massively hopped that it gags me on the second can. I'm also keen on Foster's, which can be had at a bargain.

Having floated with people who drink beer at breakfast, I think more than a sixer a day is stupid. People who are shit-faced make bad decisions in rapids, and then you have to rescue them, etc. This isn't because I don't like drinking beer on river trips. I do.

But I've had to deal with ugly consequences when people have had more than they could handle.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #40
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
I totally agree!

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote