Old 09-28-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Beer in the GC??

So I heading down the big ditch here in a couple of weeks and am curious as to how past GCers have carried their beer for 24 days. I am thinking of bringing around 250 cans or so and am assuming that others on my trip will be carring about the same.

I have heard a couple of ideas (big mesh bags, milk crates, drop nets, etc) but have not been too impresses with any one of them yet. I am wondering what yall think. Who has got the ideal way to carry that amount of cerveca?? Thanks

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
I forgot to mention that I am also nrsted in doing some fishing while I am down there. Has anyone had any experiences with fishing down here good or bad. I am looking at both fly and spin fishing (and I know that I need a AZ tag if I am going to fish down there).

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Fishing depends on water quality - if side streams are running the water will be red and fishing won't be so good. When I went the water was crystal clear all the way, and the fishing stayed very good to Deer Creek falls.

I store my beer in cheap heavy duty canvas duffels from an army surplus store. Some cans are going to inevitably explode, and the heavy canvas protects the boat from the sharp aluminum.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If you get a chance, stop around the Bright Angel Campground and hike a few miles up Bright Angel Creek until you get out of the crowded area. It's a small creek that feeds into the Colorado and has some great fly fishing. You can get some decent sized fish dragging a streamer near some of the undercuts and there was some good dry fly stuff the times I've been there. Nothing too big but still a lot of fun.
jerbsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #5
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Not too impressed with other's ideas for storing lots of beer for a long trip. Whats wrong with a milk crate or mesh bag. IT'S CAMPING!

But I'll tell you my secret...I have a plug-in mini fridge I mount on the back of my kayak and plug into my kayak which has mini water wheels that provide electricity as I float down the river (from the side its kinda like spinners on cars but for boats!). But make sure you bungee the door closed for if you roll the door might come open! Also you have to face forward down river because if you float backwards the water wheels spin backwards and heat the fridge instead of cooling it. I lost a whole mess of beer once because of that!

There we rid of my smart-ass bug for the day!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
definitely go with a bag of some sort rather than a crate or hard sided thing cuz that way towards the end of the trip when you only have a few beers left you don't still have a huge empty box taking up room
jerbsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #7
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
If you can find them, the 30 cartridge/25mm ammo cans are the same width as a standard can of beer. I can fit a full case of beer in one with zero wasted space.

Ammo Cans on sale!
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Milk crates all the way. Cut a piece of 1/4'' plywood to fit in the top and use a cam strap or two to hold down. Worried about wasted space once beers have been drank, use crates to store crushed empties in. You can rig the lid so that it is below the handle slots, that way you don't need to worry about loosing cans out of the crate. Mesh/canvas/burlap bags only cost you beer and money in the end.
Schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I personally use an old heavy duty dry bag that I had lying around, same idea as the Mesh/canvas/burlap bags, but nice because it can also act as dry storage for other items later in the trip. If you have the setup that can handle it though, I'd go the route of large ammo cans. Because being air/water tight, they are the perfect trash cans... which everybody likes at the end of a long grand trip.
fishpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #10
Bring a drag bag for refrigeration.
Buy 12-packs and wrap three long strips of duct tape around them.
Then stow them under boxes and bags and in the crevices of your boat.
In 1999, we packed two cords of beer into eight boats like that and it worked like a charm.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote