Old 10-27-2005   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bears on Westwater?

A trip member on an upcoming Westwater trip is concerned about the possibility of encountering a bear. Has anyone ever heard of a bear encounter on Westwater?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yup...griz. Jump on top of the raft and eat you alive. Take a kayak and just flip over if they pounce. He'll land on your hull and you'll mystery...confuses the hell out of 'em and they run away.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #3
C. Springs, Colorado
Never seen a bear in that part of the state. I'd be more worried about big cats. I'm sure bears are out there, but remind her that black bears are shy creatures and don't even mention mountain lions and such.

When in doubt, pack some protection.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
at first i thought this said beer on westwater and I can confirm there is plenty of beer on westwater.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #5
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Beers and bears.

Andy, you've got mail in your 'buzz inbox, I'm having e-mail problems today.

If you want, we could cruise with a shotgun strapped onto raft thwarts like they do in Alaska, but I've never been eaten by a bear camping in the GJ/Moab area (or anywhere else for that matter)!

Quick question for you all... Are there any fish/fishing in Westwater? I guess you need a Utah fishing license if there are...
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #6
C. Springs, Colorado
The fishing isn't the best there. I've had good luck by little D's using worms. I knoww you can get one or two day fishing permits for Utah, but I'm not sure where you would get them around there. Maybe they sell them at the ranger station.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #7
It's the desert- no bears.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #8
But you might see a bare in warm weather...
ericF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #9
Marine Biologist
It's the desert- no bears.
I have seen a small black bear swim across the river and up the bank at the loma putin for Ruby-Horsethief. In addition, there was a black bear bite on the salted-dreadlocks of a sleeping hippie on a NOLS course 2 summers ago on the Deso-Grey section of the Green, which is most definitely desert. Probably thought the hippie's dreads were a salt-lick. Statistically black bears are way more likely to look at humans as prey these days than grizzlies, but the chances of being attacked are tiny. Practice good bear etiquette (the hundred yard triangle of cooking, storing food, and camping upwind of these) and you should be fine. Also, carrying a shotgun or '45 or '44 (better yet) is the best protection. Bear spray sucks. I know that bears run 35 miles/hour, which translates to about 60 feet/second (actually 51.333'/sec.). If a bear charges, that leaves you 1/3 second to get the bear perfectly (max range for bear spray is 20'), and is dependent on perfect environmetal conditions: open range, good light, and correct wind direction. A slight shift in wind and you hose yourself but good, which in my experience is no fun. Better than nothing though.

Also in my experience, even gun grabbers are quite happy with the knowledge of that existing protection when the bear actually comes snuffling at your tent door, and are more than happy to eat their words of protest, until the next morning when the bear is gone, and they feel safe again, and the protection becomes once more inherently evil .

Have a good trip, and count yourself lucky to actually see a bear if you do.
Cheers and beers,
|^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
| BEER ................. | ||'""|""\__,_
| _____________ l ||__|__|___|)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #10
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Never seen any bears on Westwater but watch out for those cows on the far side of the river; they're vicious kayak-munchin'-machines. And they start mooin' really early in the morning.

And how do you get sixty when rounding from fifty-one and a third?

Good luck, Have fun!

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote