Old 07-12-2007   #31
Hopefully Andy isnt's still standing by his computer waiting for responses due to the fact that he posted this question 2 YEARS ago.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #32
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Anyone ever come across scorpions or nasty spiders? Every time we camp at Westy we sleep under the stars in a bag on top of a tarp both in the canyon and at the Cisco takeout. I don't think that I've once slept in a tent.

Westy is in the middle of the desert and scorpions and spiders are always in the back of my mind. . .

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #33
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I know that there are no bears in the desert, but I know someone who has seen what appeared to be a bear at Range Canyon in Cataract about ten years ago. What a bozo this guy; hasn't he ever heard of a bear costume? They're a great way to stay cool in one of the warmer places on the Colorado Plateau! I've heard of more people wearing bear costumes in Cataract this summer. I think they're starting to catch on down there, which means that Westwater will naturally be the next place this fashion trend will catch on.
rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #34
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
I have a Yak suit that i'll trade for a bear suit I don't want to be left behind in river fashion.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #35
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Scorpions live in the cracks in the mud flats, so if you see a mud flat on Westy...
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #36

I have 200+ runs through Westwater -- a fair number of them overnighters. Pitched a tent once or twice due to rain, but otherwise slept on the ground with no problems. Few bugs. Never seen a scorpion. Never seen a rattlesnake. Have seen mountain lion prints on beaches -- that makes you think.....

I also have seen bear tracks and scat at Cisco before the new, more secure, dumpster was installed. I know first-hand of a bear at Cisco in 2001 that was marauding the sites of folks camped there. Heard he was shot later that year hanging out near the dumpster.

Rich Phillips

Join Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association. click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater representation on Grand Canyon issues. And follow GC issues on
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #37
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
daaaaa Bears.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #38
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I Heard the toads got big teeth out there but no bears
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #39
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thank God someone FINALLY answered my post! Now I know its actually safe to run Westwater!

But seriously, if someone thinks its quiet around the Buzz, they haven't seen how many folks are reigniting this old, dead thread!!!

Wish I was back in CO - not much running here in NW Montana these days, though Alberton was a kick last weekend at 4500.

See y'all in August,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote