Old 10-28-2005   #21

Not a bear, but really cool pic of a moose in Desolation canyon. Very nice to see.

soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #22
I saw some animal wacing by once on the road there. I think it was a bunny, and maybe more than one. Scared the hell out of me, I almost swerved to miss it. Scwewy Wabbits

wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #23
Surprised to hear about so many bears near ww.It's not the best habitat ,though there are juniper bushes on the rim.Never seen any deer for the cougars but there are about a buzzillion jack rabbits and kangaroo rats darting every which way if you ever drive the rim at night virtually impossible not to hit one,albino toads too.We had one pissed off miners cat[ringtail] making racket all night at our favorite campsite ,like your own private Mesa Verde.
Yes,there's plenty of beer on westy ,but hummingbirds prefer margaritas.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #24
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Saw a big brown bear on river left a few hundred 100 yards down from the ranger station last May. It was really cool! Of course the eruption of 25 people shouting "bear look at the bear how cool a bear" scared him off. sad.
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”-Ed Abbey
Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #25
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by routter View Post
It's the desert- no bears.
Yep, there are bears in the desert... along the big rivers which are their own little environment. I've seen bear footprints in the mud on Deso. There are seagulls and shorebirds in the desert too....along the rivers.

My biggest critter worry on desert floats is mountain lions, especially with small children in camp.

Mountain lions are probably too fast and too good at ambushing for a gun to do much good... but on long floats I'm packing a hand-cannon anyways.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #26
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
you could always shotgun a beer seen that on WW
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #27
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
John at inflatable technologies was customizing a raft for a backcountry goldminer from Alaska,says he always carries a gun for bears,He designed a special mount for a rifle that holds it firmly in place but allows for quick release,also keeps it dry and makes sure there is no accidental discharge into his boat which would leave him totally screwed in the middle of nowhere.According to this guy ,for Grizzlies you need 2 kinds of shot,or 2 guns,the first a shotgunbecause if you miss with a single bullet you're done,but if you blast him with shot you might scare it off and it dazes them buying you just enough time to hit him with a bullet powerful enough to drop him.I love animals,just thought it was interesting.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #28
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Desert Bears

Seen lots of fresh bear tracks on Deso. Seems like there'd be a few bears coming down the unpopulated canyons on the Colorado from Loma on down. Be nice to the natives: more of us than them.

Mont Swasey (my boss on the road crew on the Manti-LaSal NF many years ago) said in his grandfather's time that griz roamed on the Green River Desert in spring, to eat the native grass, before overgrazing destroyed the soil. Moonscape, now.

I'd damn sure rather have more bears in the desert, and fewer affluent geeks blatting into cellphones while roaring around in their gas-sucking SUVs.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #29
i saw a black bear a few hundred yards downstream from the blacrock section of ruby horsethief. probably wandered down from the uncompagre forest or glade park area. there is the possibility, but i doubt anyone ever sees 'em in WW.
alacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #30
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by alacy1 View Post
there is the possibility, but i doubt anyone ever sees 'em in WW.
Bears are the reason that the dumpster at Cisco has a big steel roof now. They come down out of the Book Cliffs to the river area.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote