Old 08-31-2009   #81
Gnarnia, Colorado
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
People on Deso don't really practice safe bear practice. I haven't been doing it myself.
Therein lies the problem.

A fed bear is a dead bear.

This kind of thing is totally preventable - store your food, trash and smellables securely on the river.

It's a lot easier [and far better] than getting attacked by a bear.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #82
B.F.E., Wyoming
Puma Bounty Hunter & M-87 Shotguns

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #83
Wild Wild West, Colorado
Bear Skin Duckies

Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Back to the shotgun, it is a slow (relative) moving projectile that packs a ton of kinetic energy. You hit a bear in the shoulder with a 650 grain slug and that shoulder is gone. Bear falls over. Same with leg and the hole you will make in the side of the bear will be quite large.
Not quite so simple. Bear doesn't necessarily fall over, leaving all invoved to resume drinking and begin the enviable task of seeing if a bear skin can be made to hold air for the coolest looking duckie ever.

I've tracked deer for miles with fatal, knock-down 12 guage shotgun slug wounds. Seen heart shots keep going for 1-200 yards on what must have been adrenalyne alone. A three legged bear will not necessarily fall or lay down and die and is not something I'd want my family or friends to be near (w/in 2 miles).

Gun choice aside, it is still best to keep a clean camp and hope you never generate a first-hand response to this thread - for yourself or the next person at "your" camp site.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #84
Mapleton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Well you all convinced me and i bought some slugs for my 12 Gauge. I'm gonna buy some 4 inch sprinkler pipe and seal one end and put a screw cap on the other, slip it in its case and slide it in the pipe, I reckon that'll keep it water proofed. Here's to seeing and enjoying a bear or two and having them move on along downriver!

Newty is offline   Reply With Quote