Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-16-2011   #51
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I just want to comment on the use urban gardens instead of "Kentucky bluegrass".

Being a grounds professional I don't know of anyone who is installing "Kentucky bluegrass". We typically install bluegrass variety/fescue/rye blends that are more tolerant to our dry climate here and have better wear properties and actually use less water. Also the one advantage to blue grass is in a drought you can actually turn your water off to bluegrass. It will totally brown up and go dormant through the drought typically june-aug then when you do start getting water to it again it will come back. A lot of your native or low grow varieties will die off or become so stressed that weeds take over causing even more problems.

I know DPS has over 20,000,000sq.ft. of irrigated turf (just check their website) and the City Parks and Recs has more than that. That would be a whole lot or urban gardens and who would maintain those?

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #52
I actually agree Swank. Was more just using that example as I have heard it a lot in the past. And I also like some grass, though I could care less about golf. The schools and parks in Denver are great, and I'm a frequent user of City Park in Denver, and they take water. But they also provide that space for a lot of people and events, as opposed to the McMansions in Castle Rock that have huge yards for few people.

Basil, what exactly is your point in this entire discussion? Please think before you post and don't use sarcasm because you aren't good at it.

We are removing dams all over the west, and celebrating that as a victory for free flowing rivers, which most kayakers are supposed to love. Here on the front range a bunch of you are assuming that it's inevitable that we will have to build more dams, and we should just choose the best alternative. I fear that if Gross goes through that we will be more likely to see additional projects get approval, such as Two Forks and the Flaming Gorge pipeline. No one is openly discussing this as an alternative to these other projects, and there is no guarantee that if Gross goes through the others will be stopped.

What kind of mitigation is Denver Water really going to give us? A better flow season on Alto Alto (which I hear we are at risk of losing access to due to landowners), more water in USB (thus, a more limited season to paddlers due to unnaturally high flow), or more water in LSB which gets taken out above Eldo in the shoulder seasons. Having more water in the system may even allow for fewer releases on Bailey Canyon and Foxton. The Colorado River will definitely have less water. Let me guess, a paved parking lot at the put-in to the river that runs only on weekends. Oh, and we won't get ticketed for paddling across the reservoir that buried the creek that we were trying to paddle.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote