Old 10-31-2012   #261
Kilickitat, Washington

What a bunch of beaters swimming class IV!!!

Is my gopro still on?

Nuthin_but_Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #262
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You should have swam to the shore

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #263
Glad you guys are ok. That was some serious shit. Keep on charging ! I'd love to see the bootie beer session.
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #264
Superior, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by Rush View Post

In return I have done my very best to represent the sport in a positive light, and to help progress it to the best of my ability!

Does this include when you pissed on the sign for the Stikine?
Anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #265
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Post postive

I really in joyed this BF film. Last week I showed it to the students in the Algebra and Geometry class's I teach after they took a math assessment.

I skipped class to go kayaking when I was in High school. So I figured showing my students short kayak films after test is the next best thing.

My students thought you guys were extremely cool. I lied and told them that all you all love math and working hard at it made you better kayakers. http://

Thanks for being the positive roll model in this film. Oh and who did the remix of the last song in the film?
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #266
What the Chuck
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 1979
Old-timer here. I watched the BDP production, and am a fan of Bomb Flow, and now Substantial. I'm an old Class V boater.

If walking the walk (or firing up the stout!) is what really matters, re: feminist cred -- huge. I have likely more real accomplishments in this arena (child care center built, normalization of gendered environments) than anyone that posts on this thread.

Re: enviro cred -- Likely have saved more river miles than anyone posted on this thread. Definitely saved more watersheds. When you look down on that clean water you're boating on in Idaho, I mos def had something to do with it.

None of that means my opinion is right, and yours is wrong. At the same time, don't go all self-righteous on me.

Let the lads have fun. They are intentional clowns. Anyone that looks at BF's 'Merica episode and can't see Dr. Gnar and co. making vicious, wicked fun of themselves has a humor-disabled disorder. Anyone that reads the Pucon Guidebook's advice on getting pix and doesn't see young men making fun of themselves -- I'm sorry for you. Women are portrayed as smart, men are portrayed as simple-minded and vain. it's hilarious. If you see hate, you're projecting your own insecurities into what is a funny little screed.

Healthy communities have a spectrum of individuals. I watch EG and Fred for the subtle humor and the reminder of youthful narcissism that enabled me, when I was their age, to step up to larger challenges in forest conservation that came from confronting challenges on the river. I watch Steve Fisher to understand the transitions that comes from a world-class paddler finding his place in a larger world. I watch Darin McQuoid because he fills my need for seeing those beautiful places that during my 20s, I was never quite good enough to paddle (always wanted to do the NF Mokelumne -- thanks, Darin!) I follow Ben Stookesbury to watch a young man mature into a global citizen determined not just to huck stouts, but make a larger difference. I watch Marianne Saether for her thoughtful contemplations on friendship, and living well locally. I click into Rudy Rampage to watch Rush make fun on a part of his personality he knows is alive and well, but he keeps in check. That means he's self-aware, folks -- and that means, even for a young man, he's on his way to enlightenment. I follow Ben Marr because Ben's low-key humor inspires my two teenage sons, as well as his self-deprecating attitude about what actually happens out there on the river.

Nothing in the whitewater set, not even BDP, comes close to matching the depravity that I've seen in the world of excess money. People drinking Keystone Light and dancing around with a couple of drunk women are tame. You want to see gross excess? Go to a yacht harbor or a pro football game. Now that's gross.

Richard Bach said "Perspective -- use it or lose it!" Truer words were never said. At my age, except for my f**ked up right shoulder, I am a whole person. And watching all these young people do all these incredible things that I'll never do, with humor and style, make me think that all those sacrifices I made for river conservation (and they were numerous) were worth it. All those videos, from the sublime to the ridiculous, confirm my fundamental belief -- there are simply no better folks than river folks.

And if you're reading this, and you're a river person, that means you too. So cut everyone some slack. That's also a lesson from the river.
whatthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #267
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2008
Any BDP responses?

Hey everyone! I followed this thread thoroughly when it all first happened and then stopped for some time. Anyway, I was just curious if any of the members of BDP have spoken out or publicly apologized anywhere? I am interested in reading it if so. Thanks!
IAintNoEddyFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #268
Longview, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by IAintNoEddyFlower View Post
Hey everyone! I followed this thread thoroughly when it all first happened and then stopped for some time. Anyway, I was just curious if any of the members of BDP have spoken out or publicly apologized anywhere? I am interested in reading it if so. Thanks!
The people with concerns were pretty much told to pound sand and get over it. Most that I have talked to are voting with their wallet. It is a personal decision and that is pretty much all I will have to say on this subject. All the people that I have talked to who have a stake in this pretty much just want this to all go away quietly and it will like any other controversy.

This whole thing has made us rethink where our whitewater dollars are spent and who gets our support.
WW Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #269
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
You leave mooning the Amtrak out of this. That is a time honored tradition that should not be compared to BDP.
This made me really laugh! Here here...i agree!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #270
Merica!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
BDP! Quit being so gay!!!! They are slaying it out there! You must just be mad you have a wife or significant other who ruined your life and doesn't let you kayak and party like you want to! You are just jealous that they are having so much fun and your at home doing dishes and watching dancing with the stars! Who gives a shit what other people do or post! As long as they keep pushing limits and having fun I will support the shit out of them. And for you idiots who are saying Anton immler and Fred the doctor are part of BDP get your facts right! I have never seen Anton in one BDP video?

joey11 is offline   Reply With Quote