Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-24-2005   #11
Last year, same time, same bat channel, my husband and I were driving back to Steamboat on along the Elk. All of a sudden we were trashed by unknown forces. I looked out the rearview and saw a tree bounce off the top of our truck. I figured a tree had just fallen in the woods, for no reason, and if I didn't hear it, I felt it. We have an F150 with a topper. Our kayaks were on top of the topper. The boats saved the truck and perhaps us. The rack was busted and our boats were dinged, but no real damage.

Anyway, in a matter of about 15 seconds we realized it wasn't a freak of nature, as Andy Wirth stepped out of the forest, chainsaw in hand. Of course he was freaking out as he realized he had just dropped a tree on us. I hate to think if it was a split second earlier. Hard to believe a grown man, who lives so close to nature, (ROFLMAO), could be so stupid as to not have a spotter next to the road like that. He told us he had never cut a tree before. NO SHIT!

After we all calmed down, he offered us free lift tickets for a day. Of course we took him up on it. Unfortunately we trusted the little ___ and we never got our tickets. I was never going to tell anyone out of courtesy, but when I saw that he was a part of that Seedhouse group and the fact that he never owned up, I changed my mind.

Lets just say he was pretty humbled and at our mercy that day. Too bad we're just two nice, boater types, who float by his house, (which is on the other side of the road) and occasionally touch his rocks. Oh, wait, he doesn't have any rocks or he'd be boating too!

That's the story,

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #12
Whoops, forgot, big congrats to the outfitters. I hope that starts some kind of favorable precedence. Thanks Baker for posting.

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #13
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
shit on car

I'll shit on his car, where's he park it?
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #14
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I was at the hearing yesterday and testified on behalf of CWWA in favor of renewing Bucking Rainbow's permit. In the end it was no contest- there were only a few land owners there and the rest of the room was packed with people supporting BR. One of the land owners got really rilled up and called boaters a bunch of criminals and did more harm than good to their cause. In the end both county commisioners present voted to uphold the planning commities decision to renew BR's permit on the basis that this was not the appropriate venue to determine civil trespass and that if the land owners were really that upset they should take the issue to the courts.

Also- Andy changed his mind during the proceedings and now supports BR...
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #15
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
latenightjoneser, if we ever lost the civil trespass issue in court, you're onto it, man. I bet Chan would have an idea, give him a call.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote