Old 07-08-2006   #31
pnw, Washington
JCKeck1, I think you are dead on. Should be quite a bit of difference between IV- and IV+

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #32
yep ,gh and jc,
go run Foxton or Waterton at 600/700,then go hit LWR. Clear Crk. or Elephant Buttress crankin,you'll learn the difference real quick,and a lot of boaters on this forum probably downgrade them to just IV.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #33
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by JCKeck1
American Whitewater put out a booklet rating standard rapids at certain flows throughout the country and I think their guide is pretty good if you can find one.
I dunno if these are the ones Joe is talking about, but here's AW's standard rapids for comparison from the website. There could certainly be some debate about some of the standards, but I do like the decimal system above class V--like in climbing, because without it, class V is way too open ended. Addison's system is too complicated, IMHO.

AW Class I-III:

AW Class IV:

AW Class V:
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #34
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Yeah if you look at those AW ones we will start arguing all day - like they put broken bridge as equal to no name rapid?! rating rapids is way too subjective and flow dependant. just get used to it. when in doubt, scout (or straighten it out, or shout shout let it all out) - you get the idea.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #35
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Bailey at 450 is IV+, V, IV+. Everything inbetween is boogie. At flows greater than 650 things upgrade a notch I'd say. A guidebook isn't there to tell you to run or walk, you gotta use your head in that case.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote

bag, bailey