Old 08-15-2010   #11
Boulder, Colorado
I swam like a goddamn fish yesterday in the first falls, the river always teaches you to respect it. I gave that drop zero concern and ended up swimming because of it, and swimming fast. I think I was only in there for 20 seconds at most and figured I would have to swim out anyways so I might as well swim early. I was able to push off my boat and get some handholds on the left wall to pull myself out, so the swim wasn't bad at all and everyone there got all my shit (thanks ian for fishing the boat out). After getting all my shit back, I went back up and ran it again!
Dave that was a sick line I've gotta try that next time, you looked in complete control the whole way and styled the shit outta it!
o yeah sean is still a pussy

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #12
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Got pinned with a sieve less then a foot down stream. Buddy managed to get there and pull my boat over before I pulled my skirt and floated into the sieve. Wasn't paying attention and found myself upside down against the undercut wall just after SM, got my paddle pulled outta my hand, so I hung out upside down in my kayak until I was out and away from the undercut. Pulled my skirt and booked it for the far bank.

Dave, I thought that was some very skilled paddling down SM. Nice Job.

Great day of paddling.

NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #13
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
It was indeed a great line, Dave- glad I got to see it in person. Great fun boating with you!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #14
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
HA. I love those dissing on 1st falls. That thing is a bitch. I was talking with some old schoolers earlier this summer and we thought it may have changed in the last few years. The line has gotten thinner. I've witnessed at least 10 swims there from talented boaters.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When I first ran Bailey in '96 it was all but standard to run first falls. Something changed in the wood pile just above on the right in '99 or thereabouts making it something everyone but Forrest and the like would portage. Seems to ebb and flow since, but never reverted to how straight forward it was 15 years ago.

And yes Evan I counted 6 eddies too; it was only the 5th one that seemed worth mentioning.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #16
I swam like a sea bass today! Storie to come tomorrow when I sober up. Had a great time though and met some sik ass boaters that are funnier than hell. Thanks for grabbin' my shit southern gents!
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #17
Story not storie I need another coors gold and good night
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #18
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
5th eddy is tricky
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #19
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Is that eddy hopping business the usual way to run Class V? If so, I think I'll stick to Class III.
raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #20
I know nothing about boating this type of water, but I liked your methodical ways, Dave. Reminded me of the way I get down a technical ski mountaineering route. Like a surgeon.

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote

bailey, baileyfest, carnage