Old 04-26-2006   #11
I agree with all the previous posts in regard to respecting private property especially these considerate folks,and trying to peacefully coexist with fishermen.However ,shouldn't the respect be mutual how many times have you seen a fisherman casting into one of the few playspots on the river when there are ample opportunities to fish many more times and places than there are to kayak,I guess it's first come first serve but i resent the attitude that we are some kind of a nuisance. We are supposed to recognize that they are fishing and be quiet and pass thru quicklyso we don't ruin thier fishing ,shouldn't they in turn recognize when they are ruining our fun?
I drive a white Toyota Forunner but it wasn't me ,i was on Foxton that day,dont be slicin' my tires.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #12
Seattle, Washington
I don't think most fisherman know what constitutes a good playspot so give them some slack if they happen to be near one. (In regards to Bailey, I think it's safe to say there are none in the flat water) As you said, if they're there first, then it's their spot for the time being.

I too have gotten the vibe from some fisherman that we don't have the same rights as them when it comes to river access, but they deal with access issues too and most are pretty cool.

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #13
Cayo - Yeah, we're second class citizens on the river for sure. But considerering that most river-side land is owned by fishermen and NOT kayakers, we are really not in a position to complain.

I have many friends who fish, and they are very active in river conservation and water rights - more so than any kayaker I've ever met. Trust me they are on our side and we need to get along!!!

Also, when they find a good "spot" and a kayaker comes through, it can scare the fish away and ruin their whole day. I don't understand it because fishing seems about as exciting as watching paint dry, and I will never do it, but apparently it's not just as simple as moving to a different spot. There will be other play spots for you. Just smile, nod, wave, be friendly, and stay away from their fishing spot!

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #14
concerning kayaking/fisherman ethics:
you never know if the fishermen on shore own the land you are paddling through or not. If they do own the land or are granted permission by the land owner to fish there, they have the right to be a prick and tell you to fu** off, (not saying this is the case at Baileys by any means) you are their little bitch until you are off the property.
How should we respond as kayakers to those who treat us like parasites on the river? Yes Sir! No Sir! Should I paddle or drift Sir! River Left or River Right Sir! And we will like it.
There are two kinds of river users, those who realize what they have, and those who don't. Those who don't are the pricks who divide the subcultures of river use. They are paddlers who unnecessarily trespass to get onto the river or fishermen who aim for your neck gasket when casting.
It is extremely important to view this issue from a much larger perspective, in which case, fishermen are EXACTLY the same as kayakers and any other river user for that matter, even tubers. There are many uses for a river, such as damning it up every few miles or privatizing public land around it. The more Protests policy makers and legislators hear from river users who realize what they have the better. River users wasting time with micro conflicts will have plenty of time to think it over when the river bed dries up entirely or the fish start looking like they were caught straight out of a simpsons episode.
leadpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #15
Newbie question

I'm new to kayaking so this angler/boater dynamic is interesting. I was in golden playpark over the weekend. There was a guy sitting at the library hole, I made sure he didn't have a line in the water and wasn't about to cast so I ran through it and eddy'd out, he just started going apeshit on me b/c he said he was fishing. I remained calm and told him I would be out of his way soon enough. He was just sitting there fiddling around in his tackle box, his rod on the ground so I got in the wave for a litte bit before heading downstream and after 20 seconds or so I got off the wave and prepared to head downstream, he got even more irate so I just went further downstream.

I completely repsect anglers when going down river (the few times i have done so) and usually just give a wave and float on by.

Has anyone had problems in the playpark before? What's the protocol with anglers fishing in the park holes? Same as down river etiqutte? Any advice would be appreciated.
zeroweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #16
Was this an older man? This winter I went down to the library hole just to look at it (no boating gear, I just happened to be returning a book at the library). I got about as far as the bench when he charged me with closed fists, called me a moron (actually a more derogatory term), and told me to keep on going or I'd be REAL sorry. Yelled something about 'Can't I see that he's fishing there, or am I blind and retarded.' More 4 letter words and fists 3 inches from my face........etc. One more time when I really wished I wasn't a pathetic 115 lb girl!

I assumed that the guy just hated women, but maybe he's just senile and thinks he ownes the river. What he needs is for the police to inform him that it really is NOT his river.

He is not a typical fisherman, and this in NOT what we are talking about here. The play park was made for water recreation, and has been designed for boaters. If it is a play park, then play; if you are on a river run, then let the fishermen have the right-of-way. This is especially true at Bailey, where the fishermen own the land!

If I am paddling lower clear creek, I always give the fishermen their space, but once in the park things change. It is like playing soccer in the street VS a soccer field. Totally different rules regarding cars.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #17
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Jen, it doesn't matter how much smaller you are that some crazy old man. One shot to the ol' cack'n'balls and he's goin down.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #18
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Zeroweek - that guy was really out of line fishing in a play park. Not illegal, just very rude.

However, FYI when you are on real river (Deckers or whatever) the stuff you did (catching an eddy, surfing) definitely will spook the fish and they'll be gone from that spot for an hour or more. That is why the guy went nuts. Like I said, he was a tool for thinking that Golden WWP is a place to fish free of disturbance - it was created for the very disturbance he wants to avoid. But in another place, your actions would have been pretty inconsiderate.

So don't feel like you did anything wrong, but hopefully this will help you preserve relations with fishermen where it really counts.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #19
Never had a problem up here in the mountains and I hope not to. I think you all got some crazy asses down near the city. Sounds like new school meatheads are the ones in the white truck cuttin fences. Maybe they are taking a season off thier surfboards huh? My WAVE!!!!

Well, real sorry about the property damage and I am sure someone in the scene will find these yahoo's and edjucate them proper. Give us a few weeks to bump into them.
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #20
appreciate the replys. In my short career on the river I have only encountered fishermen on the upper roaring fork, I gave plenty of room and just floated on by. I was just curious if others had run-ins at the play park.

zeroweek is offline   Reply With Quote