Old 08-10-2010   #1
Basalt, Colorado
Bailey Release Question

I am wondering about the likelihood/predictability of future Bailey releases this fall. I can't make it to the releases this weekend so I'm curious about the chances that it will run again with enough notice to plan a day there. Thanks for any feedback.

DaveyGravey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Watch for updates and read this thread:

Roberts Tunnel, NFSP flows

Lots of things go into when the turn on the Roberts tunnel and can be/is changed on a daily basis making the notice part hard. Like you I will miss Bailey Fest 2010! this weekend, bout the only time I have heard of notice in the fall

I am so very pissed I am moving on Friday and cannot make it, huge thanks to Ian for working so hard on keeping the boating community informed and partnering with Denver water.

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

The likelihood that bailey will be at runnable flows another weekend in the aug/sept time frame (ie above 300 cfs) is pretty good I would think. The predictability is separate issue, and a tough one at that.

In general denver water reacts to weather and water demand and makes daily changes to compensate. Predicting flows is like predicting the weather. The tricky issue is that all it takes is a one set of big thunderstorms to drop over the south platte watershed or over prime irrigation farming land to change either water supply or demand.

Denver water usually gives me a decent idea of what the weekend flows will be by friday PM. Best bet is to keep watching the flows update thread to see when flows come up and are predicted to be in on the weekend.

They are doing some work on cheeseman reservoir which will cause them to draw more water through bailey than normal later in the season when all the rain on the main stem dries up. This should bode well for more releases later this season.

As always, keep and eye on the gauges and be ready to get in the car as soon as you see it come up.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #4
Basalt, Colorado
Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eyes on the gauge and hopefully see y'all out there one of these days. Cheers.
DaveyGravey is offline   Reply With Quote