Old 06-03-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bailey Fest 2015!

Bailey Fest 2015 is slated for August 14-15, 2015. Same set up as in years past: turn on the tunnel, awesome campgroud on the river, takeout party, tons of fun!

Last year Bailey Fest was canceled due to high water. This year, there is a significant probability that the same thing could happen. Full reservoirs, tons of rain, and a full snowpack that is melting a month late all could come together to make it so that Denver Water can not turn on the tunnel. We will know closer to the fest. For now... put it on the calendar, hope to see you there, and please understand that in GREAT flow seasons, Bailey Fest might not happen.

Also, I'd like to announce that I have partnered with Colorado Whitewater (Colorado Whitewater - Home ) to take over the reigns of Bailey Fest. We are working the fest together this year with the plan of transitioning Bailey Fest into CW's capable hands for the long run. Its been my plan all along to do Bailey Fest for about 5 years before looking to hand it off to folks who have the people and skills to keep it running for the long term. CW has existing connections with Denver Water and the Bailey Fest landowner, and has the organizational longevity to be able to keep Bailey Fest running long after I have hung up the creeking booties. Huge thanks to the folks at CW for welcoming the addition of Bailey Fest to their flock.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You have created the best river festival, I have ever attended !

I have had such a great time at Bailey Fest, CW, has the big shoes to fill, but I am sure they will be up for the task.

Turn on the Tunnel !

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #3
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
definitely in if its a go....

As always Ten Mile Creek Kayaks will donate a sick peace of gear and looking forward in supporting the next undertakers!!!

Keep the Hairy Side Up...
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
stupid wedding i have to go to . . .
Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #5
All Over, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1954
First, we'd like to thank Ian for the amazing work of organizing Bailey Fest in years past and the excellent foundation he has laid in truly making this event top-notch.

We do have big shoes to fill, but with an enthusiastic committee and Ian at our side, we're confident we'll make this year's Bailey Fest just as fun as previous years. We'll keep you posted on the latest-and-greatest information, so check back at Bailey Fest.
Colorado Whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #6
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Would it be beneficial to move Baileyfest back a few weeks for melt to stop and some of the lower reservoirs to drain a bit (or am I missing a key element in water management)?
ambrosic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #7
Denver, Colorado
Update... We have all plans in place to pull off Bailey Fest this year. Just waiting on final determination from Denver Water for a go/no go call. Things are looking better on the flows front. Sunny hot days, lower precip levels, and tail end of runoff have come together to result in flows dropping dramatically over the last week or so. At current decline rate, we could be in position to need tunnel flows the weekend of bailey fest. Flip side is that a big burst of monsoon moisture could shut it down.

I'm putting out the call to rally folks to Bailey Fest. I know kayakers don't make plans til right before anyway... so... put Bailey Fest on the calendar, plan on coming, if we get shut down, divert to gore (great right now!), and if we are on, they its going to be a great weekend once again.

We may not have the final determination until the week of Bailey Fest, but we will keep you informed.

Turn on the tunnel!!!!
Old 07-30-2015   #8
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just to confirm this is still for August 14-16th?
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #9
Denver, Colorado
Yep. Two weeks from now.

Someone asked about pushing the event back. Its a complicated answer but... its pretty tough to push back. Gore race is the following weekend, so thats out. The next weekend is labor day, and jeffco folks would not give me a permit for labor day due to concerns of kayakers taking over the place during a heavy use time. Once we get into september, the ability to get flows diminishes quickly. Basically, you have to pick the best date in advance, get your permits and hope flows cooperate. As a reminder... we had 4 great bailey fests in a row, and now we have back to back crazy years...
Old 07-30-2015   #10
fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
im stoked to paddle and party at either venue, hope to see some familiar faces. if bailey is a no go can we get all that oskar blues out to kremmtucky ??����

jortsKing is offline   Reply With Quote