Old 07-30-2015   #11
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
300 cfs at the Bailey gauge for just two or three days is all we ask. Please!

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #12
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Hands down the best kayaking fest in Colorado and the only one featuring a foamy boat race! DeepSouth you have started something great and the boating community will forever be stoked.

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #13
Turn up the heat

90s all week. Turn on the tunnel! I'm watering my lawn every day in hopes of Baileyfest
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Keep the good vibes and keep the fingers crossed!

At tidbit of good news... the tunnel recently got turned on... albeit at a low flow of 12 cfs. While its low flow... it means that flow conditions have shifted to allow Denver Water to turn on the tunnel. This is a great sign for us. Now we just need natural flows in the south platte basin to decline enough to pull over 250-300 out of the tunnel. I am hopeful that we can pull it off.

While last minute planning is a hallmark of paddlers, I appreciate folks keeping an eye on our fest go/no go announcement, and being ready to mobilize for a great event at the last minute. Wish we had more certainty, but this is what we have. I'm hoping to get the final call either late this week or early next week.

Also, this year has been tough for planning... the uncertainty of the event means that we have made efforts to have everything ready to go while minimizing up front cash expenses so that we are not left with financial exposure if the event gets canceled. CW folks are doing a great job helping out with the planning, and we hope to put on a fun event that brings together the community to paddle one of our classic sections of whitewater. We might not have all the bells and whistles of prior events, but we will have a great time regardless.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Spoke with Denver Water today, and Bailey Fest is canceled for 2015. Cheeseman reservoir is full and spilling and natural flow is still high on the main stem. There is no way Denver Water can pull enough water from the tunnel to get bailey fest to happen. In a "normal" year, natural flows are lower and Denver Water has the flexibility to pull from the tunnel or cheeseman and can even store tunnel flows in downstream reservoirs. None of that is possible this year due to the exceptionally high precipitation amounts this year and 20-40 yr high flows on some of the river stretches involved here.

If someone asked me 3 years ago what the likelihood of having bailey fest canceled twice in a row was I would have said essentially zero and would have been willing to bet the farm on it. Guess its good I don't have a farm.

I'd like to thank Denver Water for being very open and helpful through this entire process. They are committed to doing the event in the future when we have a "normal" year as we did for the first 4 successful years we did the event. I can't emphasize enough how much Denver Water has done to help our paddling community and I really appreciate what they have done in the past and the continued spirit of cooperation in working to make it happen in the future.

With that said, its hard as a kayaker to get upset at an awesome water year. Even though big water years cancel bailey fest... I'd still take big water years every year if I had the choice.

On the positive side... Gore is our salvation and summer time gore runs are a real treat. See you at Gore!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #16
That's too bad that it's a no go again. Thanks for all the effort you put into the event Ian. If anyone should be upset it's cancelled it's you so I hope people recognize that and don't express undue hate towards Denver Water for something they can't control.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #17
fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
thanks for all the effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jortsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015   #18
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Bummer. Will it be in the hands of AW next year too?

There can't possibly be 3 years of crazy high water on the front range right?

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015   #19
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks for all your work, Ian.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015   #20
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks for the update, Ian, and for all your efforts on Bailey Fest.

TimF is offline   Reply With Quote