Old 07-31-2014   #41
Originally Posted by tango View Post
My dudes,

I work for DW. If you need a scapegoat I will step up to the plate. If anybody asks you can tell them Tango canceled Baileyfest. My supervisor denied my request to get paid while lapping all you gapers like I did last year.

The boss said, "Tango! You want to collect a paycheck while boofing past hordes of front range pansies who can't kayak without elbow pads, noseplugs, full faces, glasses, and Gopros?! And you want to drink all their beer and take their women?! Unacceptable! Cancel that shit!"

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

I think this conversation went more like this:

Tango: Boss, I lost my shit in the Crystal Gorge and don't want the front range pansies to paddle without me.

Boss: Don't worry Tango, I'll cancel that shit!

Either way it is 100% Tango's fault.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #42
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Thanks for the support folks. Appreciate it.

I want to say that Denver Water has been very cool with us, and that contrary to statements here... Denver Water ABSOLUTELY understands the value of whitewater recreation, and Denver Water is the ONLY water agency in the entire state that has voluntarily worked with the paddling community to help optimize whitewater kayaking.

Denver Water told me from day 1 that there was always a chance that this type of event could happen. I looked at 30 yrs of weather and flow statistics to pick my dates, and I concluded that there was a 1-5% chance that the event could get canceled. Its a risk I was willing to take.

Denver water can only divert water from the west slope when they can put that water to use and store it. Since cheeseman reservoir is spilling, they can't cut it back, chatfield reservoir is full too, so there is no where to store the water from the north fork, nor is there a need to pull it. It is simply ILLEGAL for Denver Water to bring over water through the tunnel in current conditions, its not about desire to help etc.

I'm doing OK here... much of my planning was able to be pulled due to Denver Water giving me a good heads up ahead of time. I am getting refunds on insurance etc and will not have a major out of pocket expense. Biggest regret for me is seeing how much people love the fest and how much folks will miss is. Someone mentioned last night that they were really looking forward to winning a creek boat at the fest, and I'm sad to say thats not going to happen.

If anything... we should all be graciously thanking Denver Water for 4 solid years of great flows that allowed paddlers from all over the country to enjoy Bailey... a huge deal for the paddling community. Denver Water is willing to do it again next year, in big part due to the relationship I have built with them, and my complete understanding that they could not do the event this year. I know that if they could, they would. Please do not try and contact DW or complain about this... its a gift not a right.

Impressive, mature response. You clearly have your shit together.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #43
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Ian- thx for providing better understanding of the water situation. please let us all pitch in to cover any of your unrecoverable costs. hope to see you at gore, and definitely at baileyfest 2015!!!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #44
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A sincere thanks to OB, jK, and the other sponsors that were willing to help with another year. Please let them know we appreciate the generosity. Now cough up that garage full of beer over to us pirates....

+1 for covering my entrance fee if it helps recover sunk costs.

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #45
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for everything you do working DW and organizing the fest Ian. I will be looking forward to 2015.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #46
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Really appreciate the offers on sunk costs, but I'm good, thanks. Most of my costs are refundable or only payable when used. Right now it's looking like I'm out of the hole.

I was planning on picking up sixty something cases of beer, but that's been canceled too. No garage party!

One thing we can agree on is that it's tangos fault. If he was half as sick at Denver water as he is in a creek boat he would have the tunnel at a grand right now.

P.S. Gore rules!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #47
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
if there is a garage party... Liberal Monkey Movement wants to play music.

Rock on.
Like us on F.B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-13 14.25.22.png
Views:	94
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	8758  
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #48
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Late to respond but sad to hear. Already knew this was a possibility and looking at the recent events and rain thought it might happen. Sad to see it go this way this year.

Thanks for all your hard work Ian. The man hours you've put into this baby are enormous and without your hard work and Denver Water's willingness to work with you we wouldn't have any Bailey Fest.
I'll be at Gore to paddle for a day for sure.

stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #49
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
After all, moving water through a tunnel drilled through the mountain is not at all natural. It would open a whole can of worms with more than just water rights if agencies could move around resources at will.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #50
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Want to keep this fresh to make sure everyone gets the word...

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote