Old 08-11-2010   #41
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Two more First Timers

My brother and I were thinking of coming up on Sunday for a run down Bailey, especially since we live so close by and haven't been able to find a guide to show us the portages and the lines yet. We're both pretty competent class IV+ boaters, having run stretches like Pine Creek, the Black Rock section of Clear Creek, Gore, and plenty others. Is there a group that would be willing to show us the lines on Sunday? Are playboats doable or do we want to bring something with more volume?

vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #42
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I know people that have taken playboats down, but it isn't a play run. If you just want to make it more challenging with the smaller boat and regularly creek in your playboats, then you would be fine bringing them. Otherwise since you two have never been down before, and there is a bit of a paddle in and out, I would recommend a bigger boat.

CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #43
Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
It's doable for sure. I used to run my mr clean down and I can tell you it makes it harder. I like a creek boat in there but that's me. My playboat had me looking at the sky or river bottom an aweful lot.

good luck and have fun whatever your decision is. I'm sure one of the groups would let you tag along as long as you have your safty gear with you. ie: throwbag pin kit etc...
" ...this is the hardest sport I've ever tried!!",E. Brown, 2003
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #44
Golden, Colorado
Alright, thanks a lot for the info. We've got an old Z, a Diesel, and a Gradient that we can choose to use if we really need it. Do you think it's a better idea to take the playboats, which we're used to running rivers in, or get into the larger volume ones that we're not necessarily used to?
Old 08-11-2010   #45
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by raymod2 View Post
What is the "CW Cruise Sunday"? Is anyone planning on doing the Foxton run on Saturday?
Thanks to Steve Dougherty, Colorado Whitewater (CW) has a Foxton cruise (organized trip for club members) on Sunday in conjunction with this event.

For insurance purposes, you need to be a member of CW ($30/year) and sign a waiver. Here is a link to the club page:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #46
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Did you run Gore, PineCreek, Black Rock in your playboats? If so you are probably fine for Bailey especially if you dont mind a beating or two. It is pretty shallow though.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #47
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I prefer creekboats on stuff like bailey. Sure you can paddle a playboat if thats what you prefer. Creekboats offer increased safety on difficult runs, minimize pinning potential, are better for boat safety and boat rescues, and allow for enough volume to carry a rope, breakdown paddle, and safety gear.

Please be safe...
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #48
Golden, Colorado
@JDHOG72, I ran Black Rock and Gore in an old Wave Sport Z, and Pine Creek in my kingpin. I'm leaning toward bringing the creek boat now. Thanks to all for the input. We were planning on bring pin kits, ropes, etc. no matter what boats we chose to bring.
Old 08-11-2010   #49
Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Bring the Diesel.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #50
Denver, Colorado
2 days til Bailey Fest! Yee-haw!

Camp will be set up early friday morning in the first mile of FS RD 550 after turning off of CO 126 from Pine. I'll have a green creekboat cut up into a gumbi man marking the campsite. Can't miss it!

Takeout party saturday starting at 2PM after I get off the river. Takeout party will go til 6ish, then we will move the party to the campsite.

There may be lots of boaters putting in at the same time, or a lot of boaters clustered at the big rapids. Do your best to work together. Let fast groups pass. If you have a rescue and have ropes or people in the water, please send someone upstream to flag incoming boaters. Have fun, help each other out, and be safe!

I've gotten several "am I ready?" questions. Likely flows on bailey should be in the 300-350 range, which is a great level for first timers. Run it with a good prepared group and you should be fine.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote