Old 08-07-2010   #31
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks, I am planning on bringing the family up and it looks like tent camping might be the easier route, just don't want to drive up and find out we cant find a spot!

bgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
I'll bring a groover for all to use
I'm guessing you might need some back up tanks Let us know.

Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #33
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Toni, backup tank(s) would help. I've got the standard eco-safe ammo can groover. If a lot of people show up, it will be full quick.

If you are looking for the camp, I plan on having a broken creekboat there to mark "camp mankboat". Should be easy to find, even if its dark.

Also, if the weather gods smack me down and the event gets canceled, the party is heading up to gore for the weekend. If you are thinking about driving from a good distance and don't want to get skunked... you won't if you are cool with a gore backup, which has much more reliable flows.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #34
Boulder, Colorado
Ian, What about renting an actual port-o-let? Probably not too much $.

Also what about some traffic cones/caution tape or even some kind of official looking banner to help stake a bigger claim? Have you talked to whatever ranger type figure has jurisdiction of the area? There may be group size limits, or a permit needed for oversize groups. If they are approached ahead of time and know that you are taking steps to control human waste this may alleviate many of the concerns they might have.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #35
Denver, Colorado
Bailey Fest this weekend!

Talked to Denver Water this morning. They have enough storage to cover the event flows as long as the river doesn't go to free river. Free river happens when there is enough natural flow to meet 100% of the water needs. There would have to be a huge amount of rain to get free river, so I am optimistic that the event will go as planned. Target is 300 cfs out of roberts tunnel for the weekend. I'll get a good idea of weekend flows by thursday, and a firm go/no-go early friday. Check back here for details.

Thanks to Dave, I've got the poop storage covered.

I have talked with the forest service folks about the camping set up and we are good to go there as well.

Also, for clarification, free food and beer will be available at the takeout party saturday at the bailey takeout. Except for leftovers (if there are any) I won't have food/beer provided for camping. If you want to camp, bring whatever you need for yourself / group, and maybe a little extra and we will have a classic camp party. I'll have some basics like a couple tables, rain shelter, stove, fire pan, groover etc.

Also, I'm planning on setting up camp early friday, paddling mid day, and camping out friday night before the event. Would like to rally a couple more campers / paddlers to help stake out the campsite and to paddle friday. I think Denver Water will turn on the flows friday. PM me or call if you are interested.

Old 08-10-2010   #36
Denver, Colorado
Breaking news... Oskar Blues is now a proud to be a sponsor of Bailey Fest! We will have a keg of Dale's Pale Ale at the takeout party, and we will have a monster ice chest full of Mama's Little Yella Pils (excellent pilsner) at the campground party Saturday night. The Oskar Blues beer will be free for all at Bailey Fest!

Oskar Blues is a local Colorado Brewery that makes great beers and has a track record of helping out the boating community. Oskar Blues has lead they way in putting microbrews in cans, to the delight on many a river runner. Oskar Blues is also a proud sponsor of the Lyon's Outdoor Games, demonstrating a strong commitment to the boating community.

Thank you Oskar Blues!
Old 08-10-2010   #37
Boulder, Colorado
Ian, do you need help getting it up there? I think I can make it up there with you on friday (no postpile), so I could easily swing up to longmont/lyons to pick it up. Let me know. BTW, Ian this is setting new records for the amount of beer that you bring to the takeout, your the man!
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #38
Boulder, Colorado
We need Ten Fidy Stouts
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #39
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the offer Tom. Marty is bringing the beer and is the wizard behind the Oskar Blues hookup. You rule Marty!

Takeout beers are an essential part of any kayaking mission, and the Bailey mission is looking like its gonna be stocked for beer. Come thirsty!

I'm hoping bailey will be running friday for a pre-fest run. I'll get an update from denver water late thur, and a final word on friday am.

Bummer on the postpile trip Tom, but glad you can make it to Bailey.
Old 08-11-2010   #40
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
What is the "CW Cruise Sunday"? Is anyone planning on doing the Foxton run on Saturday?

raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote