Old 05-14-2004   #1
Bailey Access may be pulled

Apparently somebody destroyed the sign at the put in to Bailey as well as cut one of the fences down in the Farmers Union section at the beggining of the run. The guy that owns the land contacted a fellow boater in the Pine area and said that if this happens again he will essentially close down access at the put in as well as put up boater unfriendly fences on the run. The fence that was cut down was used to contain his livestock and he was nice enough to put a hole in it for boaters. Whoever decided to destroy this man's property has put one of the great expert runs in serious Jeopardy. This guy is boater friendly but will not hesitate to close down access if his property is not respected. Whoever commited this crime, don't do it again!!

Matt Ward

mwardgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #2
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
This is serious. I'd be very depressed if we had no Bailey access. Heads up people, let's be cool to the land owners so we can keep our access. I know these fences suck, but they could be alot worse. Remember, those late season Bailey runs make colorado boating a lot longer than it should be.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #3
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
If he would like some help fixing his fence, or a contribution for a new sign, please post that here. I would be more than willing to help! So far this guy has been super cool, it's really sad that someone would be so disrespectfull.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #4
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I second that... As a matter of fact I would like to take it a step further if the landowner has any interest. I would gladly take a hour or so to help clean the area up or assist in whatever he would like.

It might be a great idea to pro-actively let this person know how much the rest of Colorado appreciates his/her kindness via a letter of some kind. And in that letter, offer assistance to rebuild the fence and offer funds for the materials lost.

Bailey is a true GEM that can't be lost.

Any idea that it for sure was a boater? Seems odd at this time of year? If so and anyone knows who it was... might be time for a little old fashion "Learn'n session"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #5
I just talked to my buddy up in Pine about it and I guess the guy has already replaced the fence. I mentioned that we would be able to pay for the repairs as well as help him clean or maintain this right of way. This guy is actually a very cool individual. He even asked about learning to kayak a few years ago. Of course we offered but it never quite came together. My buddy is actually going down to see if he can help this guy out with any of the repairs this afternoon.

Matt Ward
Old 05-14-2004   #6
There is an alternative put-in behind the feed and firearms store just as you turn off from 285 in Bailey. We need to start using this put-in to take pressure off the land owner. I am surprised he has put up with us boaters this long. I have seen some pretty f-ed up parking in his driveway. It is only a matter of time before someone someone does something really stupid and ruins it for all of us.

phs4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
ATF put in

I've been using that put-in due to crowding on the landowner's property- It's easy access and no one seems to mind. Everyone be sure to educate your fellow boaters about not only this issue, but the peeing / pooping issue at 4 Falls, packing out your trash, ect. We need to protect these landowners from the few idiots in this sport- they've been more than accomodating.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #8
Ok, so the guy has already replaced the fence. Still, if Bailey regulars (like myself) would donate $10 - $20 each we could easily collect a couple hundred dollars to replace his sign. I think it would be a show of good-will, and well worth it. Any ideas of the best way to take collections and get it to the land-owner?

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004   #9
Great Idea about the donations. I talked to my bud Jeremy, who told me about this in the first place, and he said if people would want to donate to replace the sign you could drop off the donations to Jeremy at the Hatch Fly shop in Pine Junction. He is going to be going down to talk to the landowner next week and he will drop it off then. Jeremy has know this landowner for a long time(he guides flyfisherman on the land) and would love to make this situation right. He has also run Bailey a few times and realizes what is at risk.
Old 05-14-2004   #10
Steamboat, Colorado
I would like to donate too. I'm in Fort Collins and am not sure that I will be making it down to Pine Junction before next week. So I'd like to give some $ to anyone heading down there from the Fort. Or else, since there a fair share of us from the Fort who enjoy paddling Bailey from time to time, then maybe we can organize a donation here in Fort Collins and send a check down to Jeremy by next week? I'm happy to head a Fort Collins donation fund if there is other interest from local paddlers to get this going.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote

access, bailey