Old 07-08-2006   #1

We are looking to get on Bailey Tues or Wed. We have never ran it, but would purchase some beer for someone who knows the run...

nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #2

Do I need to offer more beer? some safety? Every guidebook/post suggests going with someone who knows it....

Old 07-09-2006   #3
Seattle, Washington
If you end up not finding someone who's familiar with it, I think you'll be fine in there. The only three you'll want to scout are reasonably recognizable from ahead.

Four Falls is a few miles into the run (probably a half mile after the big house on river left) when the canyon walls get a little steeper. You'll be going through some boulders that are about 15 feet high, you'll want to eddy out about 50 yards ahead.

Supermax is the easiest to find and the most important to scout. After all the busy IV that follows Four Falls, you'll come to a calm shallow stretch that goes around a left corner and starts getting tighter. Look for a rock cairn on top of a boulder on river left. Eddy out there.

Deer Creek is probably the hardest to find. They'll be lots of busy water after Supermax for a mile or so. Keep heads up for a huge (about 100' tall) wall of rock leaning up againist the river right cliff. There's about a ten foot gap between the two. When you see this, eddy out sometime in the next 30 or so yards. The eddy everyone catches to scout is a bit hidden so I would eddy out sooner than later.

Everything else on the run is good, clean read and run. I would read Brian's description on AWA also for some other specifics. Have fun, it's a classic.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #4
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
You don't want to float into the first drop of Four Falls unintentionally, be heads up!
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #5

I have read all the guides and i am sure we would be fine- but it would be so much better to go with someone that knows the run-
I have always had better experiences on rivers w/ at least one group member that knows the run. Please if anyone is going to be around let's hook up- there is beer in it for ya!
Old 07-09-2006   #6
Short Bus Driver, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to Dirty Al
I would reccomend getting a guide as well. I know that it is a run that most people are very familiar with, but I have had several days on that water that were less than enjoyable. It is probably hard to get someone to run it in the middle of the week, but definitely worth the wait. It it one of the better runs that can be hit in the off season, so make sure you learn it!

The cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing!
Dirty Al is offline   Reply With Quote