Old 06-03-2005   #11
Lawyer Scum
Do I have the right spot in mind here? Shortly after river makes a turn to the left. Rock bluff on right hand side. Kind of a long narrow pour with a rock in the middle, a hole and then another little pour/hole into a large eddy on river left?. It's been two years, and my memory is poor.

Regardless, my prayers to all of you who went through this, and to Schizzle who has had to do this twice in as many weeks.

I've been through this twice in my life. The circumstances still play out in my mind and keep me awake at times. They also have made me have a more realistic sense of consequences.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #12
From what I've heard of the rapid description, it sounds like the first named rapid (I just dont know the name) But, it also sounded like it was something that happened further downstream???

Another question that must be burning in others' minds is what is the boater's name?

De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #13

Yes, that's the drop. It's called Moist Slot. It shows how a change of water level can make a big difference.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #14
Good thread.

This reminds me of a thread 3 years back where I asked "How dangerous is this sport?". There were lots of good responses. Most said that if you follow the rules, kayaking is pretty safe. Most accidents happen if you don't follow common sense. The Poudre accident and this SBC accident are bothersome since it seems they followed the rules, althought perhaps not the one on boating within your limit.

The following post seemed to sum up kayaking safety. It's cute and funny, but it shows that you can dial in your own safety. The quote is a little troublesome since the carefree bravado that gets you killed can cause much pain for others.

Your level of safety while kayaking varies tremendously based on your personality. If you are a mellow person with good judgement, into scenic cruising and mild play boating and if you combine that with good instruction and safety training, kayaking will be very safe for you. Of course accidents can still happen but it will probably be much safer than driving to the put-in.

However, if you are like me (and most of my kayaking buddies,) and you are always pushing yourself, going for the gnarliest rapids you can find, and totally addicted to the adrenaline rush, things are going to be much different. Close calls and Injuries will be common. You will see friends die. And there is a good chance you will be killed yourself.

My advice: Live your own life, be who you are, and if you're like me... get a big life insurance policy, tell your wife you love her, and go have a ball.

"Always remember... safety third!" and "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."
My wife wasn't amused.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #15
Send a message via Yahoo to Kris M
I spoke one of his family members this morning. The boater's name was James McFarland.
Kris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #16
Denver, Colorado
I believe this is the drop, Moist Slot.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't know the name of the drop until today, and only been in there in the 200's. I can imagine it to be a very different drop at yesterday's 475 cfs. Careful out there.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #17
Lawyer Scum
Is he from Los Alamos NM, Age 36?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #18
pnw, Washington
I have done several beginner trips this spring and I make it a point to teach walking as well as running. I never influence someone to run something. Frankly I couldnt live with the guilt if something went wrong.

great post
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #19
Send a message via Yahoo to Kris M
No, born and raised in BV. Had been paddling since 1999.
Kris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #20
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000

i ran one of my favorite rivers today (SSV) but because of recent news we all decided to take out well before the wall rapid or narrows.
i gotta say i was gripped a bit even though we wern't going to run the meat. i was aquainted with james, paddled much with him down in golden, he will be greatly missed. this really sucks but i have to ask.
how hard is it to surf out of this hole? did he have to swim? was it a decision or was he ripped from his boat? i recently surfed rigo in my creeker, it sucked, it took what seemed like forever to exit. only after many tries to surf out river right did i make it out but all i could think as i flipped end over end and three sixtied was "i can't swim here there's more shit down below and no way do i want to be out of my boat to deal with it." sometimes kayaking sucks. one of the members of our crew, who is an excellent boater, flipped in the put in rapid. he took a major beating. he broke his paddle and ran at least four drops upside down visually lifting out of the water as he bonked off rocks w/his head. he must of snuck a few breaths in the many attempts to roll because he was upsidedown forever. we were worried and expected to see a bad swim with needed rescue. but because he kept a cool head (I don't know how with all the bumpin goin on) he was able to finally roll up. who knows what would have happened if he would have swam (foot entrapment? body pin?) the point is STAY IN YOUR BOAT your chances of survival are better. but what do i know i wasn't on LSBC and I don't know the circumstances. chrispy

chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote