Old 06-01-2005   #1

For those of you selling boats beware. There is currently a group of people out there running a scam in which they contact boat sellers, and ask them to ship boats overseas. I was contacted about a boat that I am selling by a gentleman named Andrew Cole. He sent me a check for the boat and extra money to ship the boat overseas. The shipping company is in Nigeria. The check that they sent me initally cleared, but then came back as counterfeit. They will ask you to send the money western union to the shipping company. When the check comes back as counterfeit you will be responsible for the money. The denver branch of the FBI has been notified as well as Bank One in Round Rock Texas.
Names to watch out for:
Hector Saravia
Andrew Cole

Fradulent Bank Account
Bankone JP Morgan Chase Bank N.A.
Account #685341653

grahamfrank15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #2

Hey there. Someone tried to scam me as well. Luckily I immediately notified the Denver police who told me the check was a fraud. I have tried to contact the FBI but they have not returned my call. If someone has a contact over there already, please contact me ( so I can contact the appropriate authorities. Shelby

Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #3
Boulder, Colorado
There was a thread on this scam a few weeks ago. Sounds like a lot of people have been approached with this. there is a link to a funny account of scamming the scammer (several of them) on that thread- look it up, it made me laugh

In any case, seems like this group of scammers has their eye on this site. Be careful!!!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #4
I was just contacted by a different guy, same scam however. His name was Leigh Clement. The authorties have been notified, but I'm not sure what they are going to do about it. Be careful! I mean if you think about it for a moment its a pretty ridiculous scam; who would in their right mind entrust a complete stranger with $3500 that they didn't necessarily have to?? David.
dhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #5
its called the nigerian 420 scam and its not new. i worked in a bank for 5 years and saw many incidents of it. notify the police or secret service actually investigates these. last fall i was bidding on a raft on ebay. i had been watching the item and lost but was immediatly offered a "second chance offer" it is common on ebay but i had emailed the posted seller while the item was still active and noticed the email address on the 2nd chance was a different name/address. then the scammer offered me a deal too good to be true and i played along. called the real seller and he confirmed it was a scam. well, the scammer wanted me to wire him the money, i knew i had him. beware of anyone who demands a wire or other bank transfer!! they cannot be refunded or disputed!! turns out the account was under some name i couldnt even pronounce but it was at the bank i worked at!! i had some fun from there messing with the account until secret service took over!! so, heres your red flags...1-offer is too good to be true from a seller, 2- buyer offers more money and asks for a refund of part of the check, 3- wire/western union or bank transfer in lieu of a certified careful
senorlinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #6
Yeah, that supposed Andrew Cole e-mailed me, too, about a creek boat I was selling for someone. I asked him some questions in a reply just to see if he was truely a boater and from the Gunny area. His response was nothing pretaining to the questions I was asking, so, I called him on it. Never heard from the dude since.
What are you going to do with a creek boat in Nigeria anyway?
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

That website has some of the funniest e-mail exchanges I have ever seen. That guy puts a lot of time into messing with scammers - good work.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote