Old 02-14-2005   #21
Thanks peter, I'll check out the agua fria.
Interested in the super gnar too, what sections of the wet and dry beaver contain them? and what kind of flow do I need.

waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #22
Anything coming off of the Mogillion rim will be gnarly I personally have done none of them but have hiked several. My all time favorite project that I have only heard of one person Hiking out of is tonto creek from bear flat to Giesela. 25 miles minimum two days. easily 250 gradient. The most volitile drainage in the state. I have been at the put in when the tonto gauge is at 3k and it looked like a good river at the put in so probably to much water I would think first time 1000 at Pumpkin center.

tonto is near Payson. It looks like this could be a good year to try some of these but it is really easy to end up in a slot canyon facing a 70ft onto a shelf(upper beaver). You have to be poised to pull the trigger/.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #23

If you're on the Salt with a March 4 wilderness entry date, consider launching as early as the 2nd (running shuttle on the 1st). You could go to Ledges, awesome shelf camp on the L, the first day. Then to the river L camp at the beginning of Gleason Flats the second day. Enter the wilderness the morning of your 3rd day.

From looking at takeout it seems that the 30,000!! cfs two days ago did wonders for the riparian ecology of the river (read- killing tammies). Its down to 5,600 this afternoon. We'll most likely put on tomorrow for our trip.

Give a shout in a week and I'll tell you if Quartzite or anything changed in the high water.

ken_olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #24
I'm hoping to hit up some of these runs over my spring break (March 12-20). We are driving down from UT, but anyone from CO who wants to join us is welcome. Our priorities are the east verde and the agua fria, but we're open to doing anything down there. E-mail me through this site if you're interested.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #25
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
chinlee could be going. it goes under the hiway [160 i think] between tuba and kayenta [again, i think] it has a class 5 slide/falls combo under the road there and i hear it is great all the way to the confluence. oak creek in sedona could be good. also west fk. of clear creek. [v]
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #26
have you done the little colorado. heard about it? know anyone who's done it?
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #27
Heard stories. But most involved meeting trips on the grand. Otherwise no info.

Old 02-18-2005   #28
Arizona runs.....

Today's flash flood watch mentions hassayampa, cave creek and the agua fria. These drainages closer to phoenix might run sooner than those higher up. Does anybody have any beta on these?
timmypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #29
I have heard of people running the hassayampa but it is not very steep unless you are way up in the Bradshaws. The Aqua Fria is awesome I put all the info earlier in this post. Have not heard of Cave Creek. It is not class V but Oak Creek into Sedona in a nice class 4 unless really high. A couple of low bridges. There is a trail head going up to sycamore creek I think that is about as high as you want to go. Also the Verde when it is over 2000 has some awesome waves. Second only to Ledges on the salt at high water, 7000 aireal retentive ends in a full sized pirouette, to date me a bit.

Old 03-03-2005   #30
escalante take outs

I'm hoping to run the Escalante in May if the water is okay. I heard the river may not reach the resevoir - just disappears into the sand serveral miles short of lake powell. So I guess the hike out at coyote gulch requires a couple of trips? Any tips on what's useful to hike out an inflatable kayak/gear? Also, I'm an old whitewater boater, this would be my first inflatable trip - any thoughts on boat setup - I heard something once about sitting on a small cooler working well in an inflatable - any experience with that? Other gear specific to the escalante? Thanks, Tony

Originally Posted by barry
Escalante Beta: Put in on the cemetary road just outside of the town of Escalante....make sure you have at least 100cfs or it's like taking an 87 mile walk with your boat. Taking out you have three fairly grim options: 1) Hike 3.5 up Coyote Gulch w/ your gear, 2) paddle 60 miles to Bullfrog Marina, 3) Paddle about 25 miles through the log jammed lower canyon and arrange for a boat to pick you and your gear up at the mouth of the canyon and transport you back to Bullfrog. I have hiked out both times I did it. Plan on a full day to hike out and then drive back along the hole in the rock road. Don't let the bad take out options discourage you. The 80 something miles of canyon are the inspiring to say the least and make it well worth it.

tonyman is offline   Reply With Quote

class v