Mountain Buzz banner

Az., Souther Utah, N.M. class V questions

Tags
class v
8K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  oldfattradguy 
#1 ·
I am trying to find beta on good class V runs in Arizona and New Mexico. I know about everything in the colorado rivers and creeks book but I'm trying to get info on stuff that doesn't get hit so often. I read on the AWA site that the east fork of the verde and the little colorado have some class V sections on them but I can't find any info as to the quality or lengths of these runs. It seems like there must be good stuff around flagstaff, sedona, and the hila mountains but info is very scarce. Anything in southern utah is fair game as well. Anyone with some info they would like to share will be rewarded with excellent boating karma for the season. It's feast or famine in these parts so us southwest boaters gotta feast while we can this year.

#29 ·
I have heard of people running the hassayampa but it is not very steep unless you are way up in the Bradshaws. The Aqua Fria is awesome I put all the info earlier in this post. Have not heard of Cave Creek. It is not class V but Oak Creek into Sedona in a nice class 4 unless really high. A couple of low bridges. There is a trail head going up to sycamore creek I think that is about as high as you want to go. Also the Verde when it is over 2000 has some awesome waves. Second only to Ledges on the salt at high water, 7000 aireal retentive ends in a full sized pirouette, to date me a bit.

Peter

#30 ·
escalante take outs

I'm hoping to run the Escalante in May if the water is okay. I heard the river may not reach the resevoir - just disappears into the sand serveral miles short of lake powell. So I guess the hike out at coyote gulch requires a couple of trips? Any tips on what's useful to hike out an inflatable kayak/gear? Also, I'm an old whitewater boater, this would be my first inflatable trip - any thoughts on boat setup - I heard something once about sitting on a small cooler working well in an inflatable - any experience with that? Other gear specific to the escalante? Thanks, Tony

barry said:
Escalante Beta: Put in on the cemetary road just outside of the town of Escalante....make sure you have at least 100cfs or it's like taking an 87 mile walk with your boat. Taking out you have three fairly grim options: 1) Hike 3.5 up Coyote Gulch w/ your gear, 2) paddle 60 miles to Bullfrog Marina, 3) Paddle about 25 miles through the log jammed lower canyon and arrange for a boat to pick you and your gear up at the mouth of the canyon and transport you back to Bullfrog. I have hiked out both times I did it. Plan on a full day to hike out and then drive back along the hole in the rock road. Don't let the bad take out options discourage you. The 80 something miles of canyon are the inspiring to say the least and make it well worth it.

#31 ·
barry said:
Hey MP....are you back from your cat trip already? how was it? I've run the black box's two times. I know some paddlers have pushed these limits a little but, I recommend not going in there unless the San Rafeal (at the bridge campground gage) river is running 600cfs to 900cfs....especially if it's your first time down. There are at least two portages depending upon the size of your huevos. If the box's are running then it is well worth your time to paddle nearby cottonwood creek. As for southern Utah, whent he virgin is running there are several good sections to run...The section between the town of Virgin to the town of Laverkin being the most action packed. Consider the Dirty Devil and or Escalante if you like extended self support trips.
now when you go do it, the guys you gave this info to may be in the campsite you were expecting to get all day and you might get skunked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.