Old 02-09-2005   #11
alta, Utah
Hey MP....are you back from your cat trip already? how was it? I've run the black box's two times. I know some paddlers have pushed these limits a little but, I recommend not going in there unless the San Rafeal (at the bridge campground gage) river is running 600cfs to 900cfs....especially if it's your first time down. There are at least two portages depending upon the size of your huevos. If the box's are running then it is well worth your time to paddle nearby cottonwood creek. As for southern Utah, whent he virgin is running there are several good sections to run...The section between the town of Virgin to the town of Laverkin being the most action packed. Consider the Dirty Devil and or Escalante if you like extended self support trips.

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #12
barry -- yeah we're back. It was a beautiful trip. The section below imperial has really come back to life. We were able to row 5+ mph, and htere's a bunch of new riffles forming throught the section. I think we may know some of the same folks. If you were on the Grand last fall, they know my buddy Andy who accompanied me on Cat.

merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #13
Barry- does the Dirty Devil flow into the Colorado in Cataract? Do you have anymore beta on it. Also I have always wanted to take some of my non-kayaking friends in duckies down the Escalante. Is there anything above class II in there?

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #14
alta, Utah
The dirty devil flows into lake powell...however, with low lake levels, it now joins the colorado around Hite. The dirty devil put in is at the confluence of Muddy Creek (a classic when it flows) and the Fremont river around the town of hanksville, UT. 83 miles of classI-II river to Lake Powell. It is awesome run..take 5-6 days and do all the side hikes. Although the dirty devil is awesome, I think the Escalante between the town of Escalante and Coyote Gulch (87 miles? and also class I-II) is the better choice. The take out at Coyote Gulch is brutal but, worth it. Again, the wilderness and scenery are the main attractions here don't go expecting good surf or rapids.
Old 02-09-2005   #15
alta, Utah
Escalante Beta: Put in on the cemetary road just outside of the town of Escalante....make sure you have at least 100cfs or it's like taking an 87 mile walk with your boat. Taking out you have three fairly grim options: 1) Hike 3.5 up Coyote Gulch w/ your gear, 2) paddle 60 miles to Bullfrog Marina, 3) Paddle about 25 miles through the log jammed lower canyon and arrange for a boat to pick you and your gear up at the mouth of the canyon and transport you back to Bullfrog. I have hiked out both times I did it. Plan on a full day to hike out and then drive back along the hole in the rock road. Don't let the bad take out options discourage you. The 80 something miles of canyon are the inspiring to say the least and make it well worth it.
Old 02-12-2005   #16
How about the little colorado and east fork of the verde (in AZ.) class five sections, does anyone know anything about these.
waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

That book out about 50 Classics talks a little, tiny bit about the little Colorado. I'm pretty sure one of the pics in the front is on that run too (its subtitled Secret Southwest Stash). Goto the Grand Canyon write-up and they mention it there, too, as a cool drainage flowing into the main Colorado that you can hike up. If that pic in the front is from that run, ho chi that looks like fun.

Off topic, but I just have to add that we did the MF of the Salmon last year and hiked a mile up pretty much every tributary but the Camas creek one and that's a great way to add value to a class III run.

Anyway, good luck!
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #18
That book out about 50 Classics talks a little, tiny bit about the little Colorado. I'm pretty sure one of the pics in the front is on that run too (its subtitled Secret Southwest Stash).
I've been wondering... JJ, let's rally that run this March. It looks like a sweet adventure.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #19
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
NM h20

For NM runs check out atom's site: new mexico Southwest has some pretty funny canoer's descriptions of the NM runs as well. then there's CRC, and AW. i think the upper box is running already but it's still dumping down here!!!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #20
Two Words

I have two words for you - Agua Fria. A classic and one of my all time favorite runs. I only did it once at some juicy flows but It is up there with the best. 18 miles - 1 long day. Don't spend much time scouting or you will scout the day away. Most drops are under 20 feet but there is on monster slide that would probably go. I probably portaged 10 times but that was because we were running out of daylight.

Put in Bloody Basin Road off of I - 17 between Flag and Pheonix

Takeout in the tow of Bumble bee. Drive up stream as far as you can. Roads in the Arizona gazetteer.

Gauge - Aqua Fria at Rock Springs Lower Gila basin. currently at 1500 which I would guess is a great flow. When we were there the road went through the river and you could surf a wave formed by the road.

Check it out. If you are patient and want the super gnar try one of the Beavers. Wet or Dry. Bring ropes to repel.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote

class v