Old 03-06-2005   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
AZ FLows

Hi all,

I’m considering a trip to AZ next week for spring break, and was looking to summarize a lot of the info in the prior post about paddling in the west/southwest. I’ve rounded up a lot of the beta I need for most of the runs: classes, put-ins/take-outs, ect… But it seems like the optimum, min & max flow info is hard to glean off the web and my AZ contacts are limited. It seems a lot of people are interested in AZ as of late, hopefully a few of us could benefit from some knowledge. From what I gather its going to take some rain to make it happen, so I’m thinking it will be a last minute decision. Any flow info on the following would be sweet:

Little Colo-Cameron to Colo

Sycamore Creek
Oak Creek
East Verde
Verde-Headwaters to Verde River Confluence
The Beavers?

Agua Fria

E. Fork Black

I understand that some of these runs are f-d’s or are on a private stash basis and I don’t expect anyone to give up the goods, but anything on the main runs would help. I could probably figure out the rest when I’m down there.

Also, I understand that the Upper Salt, Cibecue, Canyon Creek are all on an Indian Reservation so they are illegal. Is that the case for the E. Fork Black, Black and Blue? Not looking end up in jail for being “reckless in not knowing.”

Thanks in advance

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah

Anybody out there???

Old 03-08-2005   #3
one of the weather models has a truf developing over the west around the 18th (only one, so the confidence is low). If that materializes, the things could flow again. There's a sight out there called or something of that nature that has the most info I've found --

The concensus is that Arizona's not going to get a lot more of the big rain events that we've had this year, but the soils are primed and a little could go a long way down there. You can check the forecast about 3 days out for some of those segments you mentioned here:

As someone mentioned -- the accuracy is only as good as the imputs so the close you are to the event/storm the more reliable the forecasted river flows.

There's also a littl bit of snow melting above clear creek and Chevlon -- bringing them to about 800 cfs.

If you got, please post the what you find out, or PM me though the site. I very curious, but don;t have the time to get down there now.

Sorry that this isn't really the info you're looking for. I guess more people golf in AZ than paddle -- go figure...
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah

What up MP,

i've been outta the loop for a while.. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get a handle on the forcasts. I'll let you know if I get into any of that EPT action down there.