Mountain Buzz banner

AW hires Colorado Stewardship Director

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nathanfey 
#1 ·
American Whitewater is excited to announce that we have hired Nathan Fey as our new Colorado River Stewardship Director.

This new position builds on our regional approach, where the AW Stewardship Team is in place to lead, train and support community-based activism representing the interests of boaters and the rivers we care for. Nathan joins the AW River Stewardship Team led by Kevin Colburn (National Director), Thomas O'Keefe (Pacific Northwest Director) and Dave Steindorf (California Director).

Nathan brings to AW a wealth of knowledge and experience related to protecting and restoring Colorado’s whitewater rivers. Nathan is a fifth generation Coloradoan and has been paddling rivers throughout the state for over 15 years. Nathan has a degree in Environmental Studies and has worked for several years with federal and state agencies, national and statewide non-profits, and local community groups to protect river resources in western Colorado and throughout the state. He is the former Executive Director of the San Miguel Watershed Coalition, and a Core Committee member of the Dolores River Watershed Coalition, both in Southwestern Colorado. He has also served on the Advisory Board of the SW Colorado Program of The Nature Conservancy, and the Colorado Watershed Assembly.

In 2005, Nathan received the William C. Kenney Foundation’s Leadership Grant award, a prestigious award supporting individuals working to address water resource issues in the western United States. With support from the River Network and the Kenney Foundation, Nathan has formed a grassroots community River Stewardship Movement in the Uncompahgre River basin in southwest Colorado.

While continuing his efforts on the Uncompahgre, Nathan now joins American Whitewater as our Colorado Stewardship Director. In this role he will assist the paddling community with river conservation and access projects across the state.

If anyone would like to reach Nathan Fey his new email is nathan@amwhitewater.org.

Thanks,
Ben VanCamp
Outreach Director
American Whitewater[/b]

See less See more
#4 ·
Things Colorado folks could do to support AW

All,

Thanks for the posts back about Nathan, AW is very excited to have him on board.

The easiest thing folks can do to support AW and Nathan is join AW. That is obvious I know but many folks are not members. Memberships can be taken on our website anytime.

Secondly support Nathan by being a volunteer, attending meetings, writing letters, etc. Once Nathan gets his bearings he will be looking for some much needed help.

Thanks for the positive comments, AW is extremely excited to be a part of the Colorado boating community.

Ben

#5 ·
This is great to see. I've been wondering who would get the position and am glad to see from Nathan's bio that it was him. He looks like he's got the right stuff for the job and I'm looking forward to having him working for us.

Welcome aboard Nathan!

-AH

#6 ·
AW in Colorado!

Hey all,
Thanks for the support for AW's work here in Colorado.
I'm really pleased to be working with the boating community, and I know that my fellow paddlers have much to contribute to our workplan in the State. So let's get started!
While we are formalizing the workplan at AW, i am working to recruit as many paddlers as possible to help me with the Water Supply planning process. If you are willing and able to attend meetings with water planners across the state, I need your help.
Please contact me if you are interested in protecting recreational water-needs in Colorado, and representing us boaters in your local basin.
If we don't work together now, we may lose any chance to protect our interests in the future.
And don't forget to join American Whitewater. Our voice in Colorado is only as strong as our membership base.
JOIN TODAY.
See you on the river, and at your local event!
Nathan

Colorado Stewardship Director
nathan@amwhitewater.org

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.