Old 03-16-2010   #1
red lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
avon repair

I have an older avon that has some worn seams in the bow. its a real sob trying to get the seams to lay flat for a good repair. is it ok to glue the repair on with air in it to keep from having any wrinkles under it?? then maybe letting the air out and working on it.

HLDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm not sure I fully understand your issue but I think it's fine to glue with the boat inflated. I've glued numerous patches, d-rings, and handles on boats both inflated and deflated. Do whatever works for you to get a quality bond and no wrinkles in your application.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #3
red lodge, Montana
thats kinda what i was thinking. quality first. the roundness of the bow makes it difficult to lay flat.

Old 03-17-2010   #4
Palisade, Colorado
I have the same issue, but she holds air like a champ...I can slip a car key almost 3/4" under the tape. I think that bit of tape that is coming up is more like a chaffe/rub strip. I think the actual seam is under the tape, and holding strong. I thought about calling Avon directly and sending them some pics for some advice, but thinking about it is as far as I've gotten...

do you have pics? can you post pics/process after the repair? One thing that has kept me from actually applying glue is the fear of making a big ugly brown glue mess on them pretty grey tubes...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #5
SLC, Utah
the issue with patching a boat inflated is the pressure that will be put on the patch if there is a hole and air escaping. if there is no hole, and you are sure of this, it doesn't make a difference if the boat is inflated or not. What you need to worry about is the glue bonding fully. The other issue to take into consideration is that it does help if you can get it flat so that you can apply pressure to the patch to help the curing process. air humidity makes a difference with the glue so do it on a nice day. and make sure it is clean.
pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #6
red lodge, Montana
air is more like seeping. its an old commercial boat. maybe with low pressure just to apply the repair nice and flat? (its a white avon)
Old 03-18-2010   #7
SE, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1991
Lay flat and patch 6" or so at time. Let it fully cure, move to the next 6" and continue until you complete the full radius.

smallie is offline   Reply With Quote