Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Does an organization that does so much to keep our rivers flowing and our access open deserve my sup
Yes, I'm a member 41 70.69%
Yes, and I'm going to join AW 11 18.97%
Yes, but I'm not planning to join 5 8.62%
No 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2005   #1
Attn Mountain Buzzers American Whitewater needs you now

Over the past 5 years, AW's expenses have exceeded their revenue 3 times.

Out of an estimated 100,000 active whitewater paddlers nationwide, there are about 6,400 AW active members. By contrast there are 48,000 members of the ACA (American Canoe Association).

In 2004, 50% of AW's revenue was from memberships and contributions.

If AW can increase active memberships by attracting support of a higher % of active paddlers, this will go a long way to help AW maintain their existing level of service to the river community.

If you're not a member, for $35 per year you can join the 6,400 of us who believe in and support AW. Please take 5 minutes and a few bucks and join AW today at http://www.americanwhitewater.org/membership/

If you are a member of Pikes Peak Whitewater, CWWA, Pueblo Paddlers or other CO paddling club listed at http://www.americanwhitewater.org/affiliates/

you qualify for an affiliate club discount of $10.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #2
Mad Scientist/Creeker

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #3
rock island, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1984
And tax deductible!

If there was an 'entry fee' on every river AW worked on things could get expensive and fast - even if it was 2$ many of us would go over the 35$ mark (I would on the Gauley alone).

Luckily AW is AGAINST entree fees and even certifications for paddlers!

(another great way to earn $ would be to require all participants in releases like the Tallulah / Gauley to be AW 'certified' class 4+ boaters - something like the ACA system. Or they could require memebership to go to these dam release runs. But they don't. And won't. But they will start losing access / release / protection battles if we can't fund them).

Consider it one lift ticket to the dinkiest ski resort in CO - but you get to run all sorts of whitewater instead.

Thanks to all who make this effort to keep AW strong.

Clay Wright
clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #4
I will not ever join this organization. I am currently considering suing them. While they may do positive things, their totally inaccurate account of a river death I was there for, and their refusal to post accurate information, and their inability to return my emails just doesnt make me think that highly of them. AW can kiss my ass until they decide to put up FACTS instead of BULLSHIT.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I contribute to AW's access fund and give a gift membership to my nephew who kayaks but, as a rafter, see very little benefit to membership that I'm not already getting with the access fund contributions. They seem mainly oriented to kayaking.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #6
pnw, Washington
Rivers seemed like a worthy cause to me, I signed up a month ago.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
You get a cool magazine once a month outta the deal too!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #8
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
AW is a fantastic organization that does more for our rights as kayakers than we as individuals will ever know.

I know 35 bucks can seem a bit much to a lot of folks out there, but there are very serious issues developing around river access that will compound over the years and AW is right there every step of the way. I have personally seen what there efforts have done with the Gualey, as well as many other rivers.

If you have yet to join, please join as soon as you can. Every single membership is important.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #9
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I've been a member for about ywenty years. Seems like a worthy organization.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #10
these guys are always trying to open up dewatered runs, constantly fighting for your right to keep your favorite river accessable, as well as doing lots of other things that are in your best interest as a private boater. these guys deserve our support.

so join AW its really not that much money and you get a cool magazine!

as for suing AW please,please leave that to the many power companys and other powerful lobbying groups trying to dewater or keep dewatering many of this country's rivers.

if you are in the south east this fall come join me enjoying one of the gems that AW has been working on for more than 5 years, the Cheoah. Its such a great run.

american whitewater