Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Does an organization that does so much to keep our rivers flowing and our access open deserve my sup
Yes, I'm a member 41 70.69%
Yes, and I'm going to join AW 11 18.97%
Yes, but I'm not planning to join 5 8.62%
No 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2005   #21
Good Point to question cstork. I thought about giving the sources in my first post, but wanted to keep my message short and to the point. Here are the sources for the numbers I gave as rounded estimates.

2004 - 222,000 Whitewater kayak enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are defined as the more frequent participants in a sport. Source Outdoor Industry Foundation Outdoor Recreation Participation Study. Pg 247. I understated the value.

48,000 ACA members - Source Paddler magazine May/June 2005 pg 50.

6,400 AW members - Source AW membership database.

WW kayaks purchased in 2004 - Estimate 25 - 30,000. In 2005, 10,000 as of May - Source of estimates, Kristine Jackson of Jackson Kayak.

% of AW revenue from memberships and contributions - Source AW 2004 Annual Report.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #22
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
6400 memberes is a lot, but there could be more.

cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #23
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
At the membership level of $100 bucks (which I realize not everyone can afford) you get a cool t-shirt. I'm wearing mine today to intimidate the land-lubbing accountant-harley types here at work.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #24
Golden, Colorado
After you have been paddling a while longer you will run into access issues yourself unless all you do is park and play for the rest of your life.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #25
Dane,I'm wearing mine right now.
Old 08-31-2005   #26
Old 09-12-2005   #27
Socratic Philosopher
As Gauley Fest 2005 fast approaches, and the September 30th deadline for new members for Affiliate Club looms, I want to thank all those who have recently joined or renewed their membership to American Whitewater.

I want to thank all the members that have joined from Pikes Peak Whitewater Club! You have really taken access to heart. We have dramatically increased our club membership and currently lead the nation as the NUMBER ONE Affiliate Club in new members. I am very proud of our club and to see our club members take action. We have had a great season this year, thanks for giving back!

If you are still lingering or haven't sat down and joined, please take time today to sign up! Your club officers have an access code to save $10 or you can contact AW at Carla@amwhitewater.org to find out your club’s promotional code. Then, follow the “Join/Donate” link at the top of the page!

Support AW today.

Gordon Stringer
President, Pikes Peak Whitewater Club
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
:arrow: http://www.pikespeakwhitewaterclub.com
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

Look no further than one of the gems of the Arkansas river, the Numbers run. AW fought to get a legal put in for years. Without AW we might not be able to put in at the numbers legally. That would suck.

Also, AW is going to bat for Colorado with the sportsmans paradise issue, and right to float issues. AW busts its butt for stuff like the Ocoee, the Gauley, and the Grand Canyon... Without an organization like AW you could be fairly certain that a boat load of the best runs in the counrty and in colorado would end up underwater behind some damn. Also realize that many runs with dams above them would not gaurantee recreational releases.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #29
Pikes Peak Whitewater Club really answered the call as shown in the AW article below. Congratulations to the club and big thanks to all the members of PPWC who stepped up and joined AW in the past 3 months. More thanks to all the members of the Buzz who decided that AW merits your support. Our paddling community should be proud.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #30
Seattle, Washington
Prozoned sounds like a Republican.

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote

american whitewater