Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Does an organization that does so much to keep our rivers flowing and our access open deserve my sup
Yes, I'm a member 41 70.69%
Yes, and I'm going to join AW 11 18.97%
Yes, but I'm not planning to join 5 8.62%
No 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005   #11
the fort, Colorado
FUCK NO, i would join if i didnt have to pay shit, and then maybe id give a donation, but im not gone pay 35 bucks when i have no problem with gettin on the river

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #12
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Heya Mike,

Perhaps I have the word "moron" tattooed across my forehead, but I'm not seeing anything about that -$10 discount for members of other paddle clubs or conservation groups on the AW website??

Tried to go online and join up, as our local group is listed (TSRA - Tennessee.... though I *was* a little disappointed when I realized that "P4C"-- or the PADDLE FOR CHRIST-- group was out of GA instead of my home state! LOL), but no matter how I finessed it, I was still getting the $35 amount?

Any ideas?
I know $10 is no big deal, but now it's just a matter of principle!

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #13
How to get the club discount

Hi Newby,

Thanks for asking and joining! Each affiliate club has an access code that you need to get from your club. The online form to join AW has a space for a promotional code. When you put the code in, the discount is taken when you move to the next page.

If you have any problem, you can contact Carla Miner at 801 649 2327. Alternately, contact me by PM and I'll make sure you get any help you need. Again, thanks for your support and welcome to American Whitewater.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #14
pnw, Washington
Hey prozoned, have you thought that maybe the reason you dont have a problem getting on the river is because the rest of us pay?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #15
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You know, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking/ wanting to post myself!!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #16
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
gh-you rock, man.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey gh, you got that right! I bet someone can give a couple of examples of how AW's helped access that pro-ZONED enjoyed.

In this month's AW Journal (feature article Class V runs), this national organization's #3 issue for 2005 is Colorado Navigability Legislation. The article starts off: "Colorado whitewater is threatened not by drought, but by laws and lawsuits." It sounds like its time to log on and give some more $$$ to the Zirkel Memorial Access fund - that's AW's fund designated to improving Colorado whitewater access. Shucks, maybe I'll even tell them they can sign me up as a member even though their journal focuses on the exploits of a bunch of plastic casket paddlin' groover pilots!

And speaking of access codes & donations -

For all you folks out there that get hit up to donate to the United Way or whatever "CFC" is, AW is a member and you can target your donation to AW for some fund drives. Their United Way charity number is #2302. Some companies will match the employee's donation.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #18
Say Andy,

Kevin Lewis, the immediate past president of the AW Board is primarily a rafter. Plastic, fiberglass, hypalon, pvc, or lexatron, if you're part of the river community, come on board.

Zoltan, tubing is not a crime, you're welcome too!

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #19
Join Up!

If we don't have an organization like American Whitewater to look out for boater's interests, who will?
colokayakinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #20
It doesn't seem right that there are "100,000 active whitewater paddlers". I have a hard time believing that statistic.

I guess the best measure is how many boats are sold. If there are 100,000 active paddlers, I would expect 20,000 boats being sold annually. Anyone know the numbers?

But, I do agree that if you are an active paddler, it's good karma to join.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote

american whitewater