Old 07-03-2009   #1
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
Attempted scam on the buzz

I was recently almost the victim of a scam perpetuated by a man named Chopay. I had posted my mountain bike for sale on the site and he replied that he was interested. The price was agreed on and I gave him my mailing information. A few weeks later he started asking if the payment had come, after about two more weeks of this I started getting suspicious. I found a post on this site stating that this man may be fraudulent. I told him that the deal didn't sound like such a good idea anymore. He assured me that the funds were on the way. A little over a month after I started communication with Chopay I told him the deal was off, I had received no money and things were starting to get fishy. I got no reply from after that last e-mail. A two weeks later I got an envelope in the mail from Ghana. When I opened it there were four money orders, all for the same amount, totaling $2,000 more than my asking price. Now it might be expensive to send a bike to Africa, however I doubt that the cost would have totaled anywhere near $2,000. I looked at the post mark on the envelope and it was sent only after I told him that I no longer wanted to deal with him. The local police and bank now has a copy of those money orders. Be on the lookout if you are contacted by Thanks shawn

caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #2
pnw, Washington
Be on the lookout all the time. These clowns come out whenever you try to sale something anywhere. Its nothing new
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote