Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-06-2012   #1
Attacked at Knowles by Holiday commercial guide!

Went on a trip this week that included Black Rocks. No sign in sheet or ranger (for Sunday night) available when we pushed off on Friday with a permit for Friday and Saturday. Stayed Sunday at Knowls.

A commercial trip pulled up at dinner time and asked us to leave insisting that they "see our permit." That was not going to happen and we were not leaving. (I stayed out of it, leaving things to the trip leader).

In front of the whole group of 20 or so clients one of the guides filled a water bucket and splashed my lounging ass on the way by. My digital camera may never be the same.

I guess I learned my lesson.

steveskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Sounds a bit more docile than your headline of being attacked...

JoelBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #3
Sure, but totally out of line and unprofessional!
Old 07-06-2012   #4

If this happened to me, I'd be writing a letter to the company, with a copy to BLM, which regulates commercial outfitters on that stretch. Date, time, location, number of witnesses, name of guide or description, etc.

Most companies are not particularly interested in their staff getting into public confrontations -- it doesn't reflect well on their operation. And they know that BLM tracks problems that commercial outfitters have on its rivers, so the owners have an interest in keeping things calm and collected. It even could be that the guide in question has had other incidents, and knowing about this one could help them deal with a problem employee before something more concerning happens.

And if your camera was damaged by his action, I'd be asking them to stand for the cost of a replacement. You might not get it, but then again they might do the right thing by you. You never know...

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #5
I have been mulling that. I figured that he would have some time to think and reflect on what a foolish move that was in front of clients. At first I envisioned a frisky team of litigators taking Holiday for all they are worth but of course, it was only a bucket of warm Colorado River water and I am not the litigious type. One thing is for sure: I will NEVER recommend Holiday if anyone asks. And I will be prepared to empty my groover on the next Holdiay guide that attacks me, water or no!
Old 07-06-2012   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986

Can you clue me in here. You mention that you had a permit? Knowles is just above Black Rocks on the Colorado in the Ruby & Horsethief section, correct? Is this now permitted?

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #7
Knowles is just below Black Rocks. There is one camp between - The Island - which this group could have stopped at and clearly seen that there was someone at Knowles and then come and had a civilized conversation.

Permits are required. BLM issues permits for Friday and Saturday - everything else is supposedly self-permitted - but like I said there were no instructions there on Friday when we pushed off. Get the full scoop on permits here: Camping permit system to begin this season at Ruby-Horsethief (01-11-12)
Old 07-06-2012   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In that letter you need to write to the BLM I would ask where the Ranger was Friday morning to check that the groups launching had permits. If they were doing the necessary work, these conflicts wouldn't happen and a sign-up sheet would be provided. I'm sure it won't be free next year but if the fee buys a Ranger, I'm all for it.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #9
The Big Smoke, Washington
4 of your 9 posts since 2006 are you having a winge about a bucket of tepid river water on a nice day tossed on you? It might be time to throw a pair of big boy pants on, and get on with life...
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #10
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
What's a winge? Tepid water, the ultimate insult.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote