Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-13-2012   #31
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
those of you defending the guide for his behavior are pathetic. steve hasn't really whined one bit he is just telling a story about someone who ruined his camera over a stupid campsite.

unfortunately all easy to intermediate stretches of river in the West with any kind of nice scenery will probably be overcrowded and will likely need to be permitted to protect the resource. I honestly probably wont do ruby again until it is fully permitted just to avoid the dumbassess who poach the camps, shit on the beach and threaten people with guns. it really is sad but true and it isn't the fault of responsible boaters or guides.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #32
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Benson: Daniel and I will each want a hug with our shot!

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #33
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm on this stretch a lot, several times a month......it's permitted cause of the douche bags that won't share sites, when inclement weather comes in, they don't groove and people abuse the system. 8 times out of 10 ppl are in your site...9 times out of 10 a friendly request to split the site they say no or take their close off in front of 3, 5 and 9 year old kids to manipulate you leaving. I hate typically hate playing by the rules of life BUT this stretch is getting abused by ppl who don't care to respect or share with their fellow man! I'm glad its permitted....hadn't had a problem since! Wayne and Troy the rangers out their used to have to baby sit a bunch of douch bags but now....they can focus on protecting the resources and safe passage for those recreating in that awesome canyon(s)..... Alright...I'm off the soap box....damn I feel better....shit, lets go boat and forget this non-sense!

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #34
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wtf sandy vag?!?!? Are you small, limp dick guys for real?

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #35
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978

The honor sign-up system on RH has not worked, period, for the reasons that have been sited here and more. The event described to start this strand is illustrative. The people conflicts, impacts on the land and wildlife have brought the situation to the point where it must be managed better by the BLM. I've watched this develop on this section over many years and it continues to deteriorate.
Some of us remember the river road to Moab situation years back, where open camping was allowed and there were few developed sites. As use in the area increased, there was literally shit, paper, and urine smell behind every tree at every pull-out site. Finally, the BLM quit dancing around the problem and addressed it, closing areas, developing more fee-based sites, and increasing enforcement.It's a better experience.
I'm for the full-week permits, plus we should pay per person per day. However, with the fees we should also have more ranger presence and enforcement. Let's face it there is a percentage of the population that has little to no respect for the land or others' rights. We pay permit fees and daily use/impact fees on several multi-day river sections and there's benefit.
One last thing. Let's improve the respect factor on these strands, especially to women. Cheers!

DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote