Old 09-03-2010   #21
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Lately I am a fan of using loops of 6mm cord off the spool. Four of them, girth hitched to the frame at each corner then daisy chained instead of bagged. When you're on a flipped boat reaching for them, the daisy chained line is easy to identify by feel. Undo the daisies and commence righting.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #22
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
There seems to be a myth that finding a flip bag on a flipped raft is difficult... it isn't.

Solgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #23
Salt Lake City, Utah
Let's see here. I've flipped, swam, got on top of my boat, cold hands, now I have to pull a line from my waist or my pouch, tie it on, and try to re-flip. Or, I've flipped, swam, got on top of my boat, pulled out the flip lines from the nice easy bag, and re-flip. Sure, you may only save a few minutes or maybe even seconds. But that matters big time in a serious situation. I will keep my lines attached to my boat, thank you.

To each their own. I don't think there is a "wrong" way. Do what you feel comfortable with.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #24
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I use one flip line attached to a d. It is long enough that I can clip the far end to a second d and use the loop to pull the boat over. In a paddle raft situation, there really is no need for a flip line. The boat should be light enough to flip using a paddle through the chicken line.

My flip line is a dre model. It has a bungie closure, that is the wrapped and threaded so the rope does not come out. This is a problem with many flip line. If you have 4 lines attached, then you are constantly checking to make sure that your lines have not come out accidentally.

Fully loaded GC rigs may want to rig off the frame, that is probably a better idea than ripping a d off.

Solgear, Maina is known on the forum here by many and his opinion are usually stout even if they are only his opinions.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #25
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Brendodendo, thanks for your info and everyone is entitled to an opinion as I offer my own from over a decade of teaching swiftwater rescue where I have flipped many boats and have had several pin demonstrations. I am always open to new ideas as I consider myself a student until the bitter end. I just don't care for always, never and evers and words like that give one on the outside the impression of a know-it-all which shouldn't exist in a river runners vocabulary. I would echo your frame attachment for any boat with a frame. I seriously doubt there ever to be a mid stream flip on a fully loaded GC rig as it simply needs a safe eddy and a lot of muscle and maybe then some. As far as constantly checking your flip lines, I would like to add my two cents that my flip lines have NEVER come out accidentally and have been tested on many class V stretches... they are simply different.

Skyman, I agree with you in no wrong way and sticking to your comfort zone. I like anything that works and there is nothing wrong with redundancy.

Solgear is offline   Reply With Quote