Old 06-11-2010   #21
Gnarnia, Colorado
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
P.S. JBL, seriously? Get a sense of humor.
This issue is far too earth-shattering for humor.

That said...

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
This looks like it's going to be a normal bridge with plenty of clearance now. Is there still a problem? Still a lot of remnants below it?

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #23
Hahaha - I worked for this cantankerous bastard, hereafter refered to as "the old man," for years. The old man doesn't give a crap about codes/regulations/laws etc. The old man has been busted for taking water out of the creek, without the obligatory water rights, to water his landscaping. I don't think any of his renovations have been done to code or been inspected. The old man simply doesn't take kindly to being told what to do and how to do it. It's his way or the highway - which is why when working for him I always tried to avoid the old man at all costs.

Good luck trying to get him spend anymore money than he has to to keep his business open. It's on the verge of closing all together as it is. He should just sell that property and ride of into the sunset in his RV with the good memories of his glory years (back when you couldn't get alcohol in Boulder city limits) and stop trying to patch up a sinking ship. Can you imagine what that property must be worth now almost 50 years after he bought it?

As an aside, I have good memories of running the tubes on the original bridge back when I first moved to Boulder in the early 2000's. Anyone know if that original bridge had been around for decades? Or has this bridge washout been happening on a regular basis?

As the Red Lion turns.......
Izza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Right now they are putting up a temporary 1-way bridge. Apparently the owner has agreed to install a permanent bridge within the next few months. He still thought the city should pay for it, but since they've refused apparently he's putting up around 100K of his money to pay for it. So it looks like he's going to do the right thing.

Izza, I don't know how many times history has repeated itself, but apparently 7 or 8 years ago the bridge washed out and he did this cheapo repair job building on top of the rubble.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #25
clean up

I know this suggestion will not be popular with many egocentric boaters, but here goes. If we want to get the mess cleaned up, then I would suggest getting a group of willing boaters to request permission to do so, and spend an afternoon cleaning it up (after all repairs are complete). The anaology I would use is mother nature, who doesn't hesitate to throw errant trees in our paths, which are quickly removed by impacted boaters seemingly with great zeal. This solution solves the problem and perhaps creates a friend, rather than an enemy.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek