Old 04-04-2011   #41
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Urban delinquent sports like bumperhitching.
Is that like "skitching"? That is how we used to get around when I was was common to see me hanging on to the back of a semi going 50 mph on my rollerblades...lucky I didn't kill myself.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #42
Mad Scientist/Creeker
All-American kid growing up - Football, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball
Middle School got deep into skateboarding & snowboarding kept playing soccer and picked up lacrosse
Still play soccer, snowboard and skate, and my wife taught me to climb in college.

Just like RDNEK, I lived in two cliques during college that were dumbfounded by my participation in what seemed to me like two strong individual sports. Most of my skateboarding friends were like WTF is that purple, red and black boat strapped directly to the roof of your car and that turquoise plastic suit! My paddling friends could understand the similarities more. My sensei was a surfer/skater from Long Beach and when I started as a raft guide the kayak on his sweet truck and watching him surf it up on the river were what motivated me to get into the sport. Once I got my skate friends in a raft for a high water day on the Poudre then they got it to. The river is so great because it doesn't matter what background you've got, once you get out there anybody can get hooked on the feeling.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #43
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
K-6: Soccer, Baseball, Football
7-12: Lacrosse, Football, Skiing
Collegiate: Rugby

Overall, and I think most people will agree, Gymnasts make the best boaters
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #44
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes lmyers...well sort of,we only did it when there were icy/snowpacked roads,used to just get in the back of some stranger's car at a stop sign then squat down and hold onto the bumper[ sometimes drag on your stomach ].We used to catch the RTD too because you knew where it was going.Sometimes you would have a friend drive fast and do cookies in some big open lot.Using skates on the highway is pretty rad Logan.Hell yes it is dangerous.So is car bowling when it catches a curb and the bowling ball comes back through the windshield
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #45
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Rafters, no sports, but active drinkers.

Kayakers, elite athletes from all backgrounds of sport progress to this sport.

The deeper question is why more rafters don't chose to drive a school bus every day in real world instead of just on the river?

Sorry, I couldn't pass on such an easy layup.
I'am here to prove your wrong......... i forgot what I was going to say, anyway I think it, it's more than just the active drinking. I hope this proves my point about sports and rafters.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #46
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Explained a lot about how truck drivers and school bus drivers think... thanks raymo "your" the best
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #47
Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Kid = Baseball, skiing

Junior high into high school--serious skateboarder, still skied, and martial arts (tae kwon do--it helped the skateboarding, and help me kick the asses of people calling me a faggot skateboarder)

College--transitioned into snowboarding heavily, began backpacking.

Grad school--moved to CO from WA, snowboarded even more after recovering from serious back injury. Started mountain biking heavily (still do).

After grad school when I started teaching, I got tired of hearing all my friends talk about this whitewater thing (and not understanding anything or caring), so I became a raft guide. The following year I started kayaking, and 5 years later it is hard to imagine my life without it. It combines the best of team sports with the best of solitary sports, helps my permanent back injury stay healthy, makes me a better teacher and musician, and as we all know, just makes life so much better. God damn.
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #48
B.F.E., Wyoming
Kayaking is my background....
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #49
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Explained a lot about how truck drivers and school bus drivers think... thanks raymo "your" the best
Dang C'Mike, did you just bust on someone about their grammar? Good on you Bro!
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #50
Leadvillian, Colorado
I think at the elite level wrestling was the most common denominator

although now a lot of the kids started in whitewater sports as babies

probably at the rec level it's more common that most of us were participants in anything going

martial arts and gymnastics would make great cross-training

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote