Old 04-03-2011   #31
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sporting endeavors...

Played varsity volleyball, swimming, soccer (2yrs), tennis (2yrs.) Participated in club volleyball & soccer during high school, played tennis yr round to fill in any gaps.

Moved to CO and started hiking/backpacking, climbing/bouldering & running. When I needed a summer job, I got a rafting gig & some guys were nice enough to take me out kayaking and teach me to roll. I continued to try out sports like ice climbing, snowboarding, mtn/road biking, trail running, CC skiing, & backcountry snowboarding. Currently I swim, bike (road & mtn), trail run & snowboard regularly when I'm not boating.

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hiking since age 5, skiing since 7, rock climbing since 13 (including competitive climbing), volleyball since 14 (including playing in college).

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #33
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Cross country, swim team, rodeo team...
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #34
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Lucky enough to have parents who valued outdoor activities. Background includes multi-day canoe expeditions and canoe racing. Kayaking since age 10. Played backyard sports according to season. High school sports included cross country and track. In college, played intramurals of all types and ran marathons. Now playing ice (pond) and roller hockey (since age 35), backpacking, and still kayaking. Lots of walking/hiking since back surgery.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #35
Upper Florida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Nordic Ski Jumping/X-C Ski racing, Alpine Skiing, Running, Climbing, Bong Hitting, Climbing.... Having parents who started rafting when I was 13 yrs. old.
Dump truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #36
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
3 years baseball,1 year football,high jump, a lot of rec.swimming,5 years basketball [ could dunk wearing clutter boots and a jean jacket] played pick up until my 30's .Not sure your age Rdnek we may have played each other.Ever play against Broncos down at Wash Park runnin' with the brothers in the cage at Glendale back in the 80's? Kick boxing[ ok punching bag for white Tyson].Skied and climbed some.Walking absurd distances while traveling.Urban delinquent sports like bumperhitching,car bowling,bombing cars with snowballs,running from cops,and brawling.

Phil you are absolutely right about boating being great for guys with old legs.Oh yeah ELF'ing and glorified seal launching .
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #37
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Swam and dove until 14, then just continued diving through college.
Fencing throughout highschool.
Backpacking became climbing then mountaineering.
Rock climbing led to ice climbing.
Mountain biking and skiing
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #38
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
HS football knee injury = no scholarship = discovered adventure sports
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #39
The Bitterroot, Montana
When I was growing up in NY I would ride my BMX bike everyday. Moved to Co. at around 16 and started climbing. Never a team sports guy. After a 9 day epic up El Capitan I needed a break from climbing and went to see some friends in WY. First day on the river I ran Alpine canyon and managed to swim straight into Taco Hole. I bought a boat that afternoon.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #40
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Common theme?

Rafters, no sports, but active drinkers.

Kayakers, elite athletes from all backgrounds of sport progress to this sport.

The deeper question is why more rafters don't chose to drive a school bus every day in real world instead of just on the river?

Sorry, I couldn't pass on such an easy layup.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote