Old 04-01-2011   #11
Sheboygan falls, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2010
Wrestling(lots of hip control lends itself nicely to kayaking) & football
Skiing is my winter equivalent
Eagle scout--where I met my true love of the river.(I actually had a girl break up with me because my kayak got more attention than her)

Jereyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Swam for over 12 years

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Baseball, Golf and Soccer. I started mtn biking when I was 13...wish I had started kayaking @ 13...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #14
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Trained and competed in Dressage through high school, rugby in college, every outdoor sport I could after moving out of the south...yecch.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #15
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
moving my ass

Everytime someone told me to get my fat ass moving I said it's going to take me two or three trips.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #16
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I always hated sports at school, and still do even when I think of other people's kids doing them. That's one reason why I got involved with the river community. Grizzly old boatmen were much more interesting and accepting than my "peers" ever were... And still are!
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #17
The next zone, .
Logan my pops forced me and the bro to take kayak lessons from the man denny lee himself - when I was 12 and little bro was 10 . No kids/parents other than sotlquist were paddlin around the upper ark then..

As far as organized sports - I spent most of my weekends from 16-18 yrs down in the various hoods of denver gettin myself known in the small rec center/outdoor hoops scene. That rolled into a 4 year full ride hoops scholarship in college, 3 year starter, with over 2000 career points, and I even hung 40 points on CU one night.. Hoops ended for me with invites to the CBA/Europe leagues but opted out and spent all the money I had saved up on a snowmachine. Then headed out to the BC that winter and never looked back.

I always found it funny that all my hoops friends/coaches hated the fact that I snowboarded/kayaked all the time and all my snowboard/kayak friends could not believe that I played hoops just about every day.. Yea what a funny clicky world we live in!
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #18
Denver, Colorado
BMX, skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, in cronological order. And non-competitive swimming, always.
mateojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #19
N/A, North Carolina
Wrestling... lots and lots of wrestling.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #20
Paddling Since: 96
Grew up playing b'ball in an eastern city. Nek, I'd have held you to 39. Wrestled at a high level in high school. I've met lots of former wrestlers on the rio. Played a lot of b'ball and volleyball as a young man. Blew my knee out and kept on playing on my "trick knee". This was before good surgery options. Finally had it reconstructed but its an unstable mess. Discovered paddling with my kid at 46. When yer legs are gone paddling takes on an even higher level of awesomeness.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote