Old 06-29-2010   #1
Ashland/Medford Oregon Boating Beta???

I'm looking at a job in medford, oregon. I just checked out the area and loved the valley. I suspect there is good whitewater but would love to hear more from boaters who know. I'm not big on playboating. I prefer creeky class IV/V with the Green narrows (-the big 3) being the top end of my comfort and desires. I'm pumped about the proximity to cali and will definitely hit some granite if I move there. BUt I hope there is some stuff within 1-3 hours for day trips. I also have been down the grand and middle fork of the salmon and would likely get an oarrig for some overnighters. Appreciate any info. Also, is there a forum out there to meet folks.

bsfreefalllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #2
Close to Cali is the best part of it.

Right there you have Steamboat creek and some North Umpqua stuff that's fun. Also the 2 day trip on the Illinois is a classic, something like 50 class 3-4 rapids and one good long 5. Also not far from Bend and all the stuff around there. Skiing is so-so. The man, the myth, the legend Brandon Knapp still lives there I think. I heard he's fired up on boating again too.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #3
Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
Rivers semi-close to you that would be fun are the Rogue, the Illinois, and the upper Klamath. For a bit more of a drive you can go to the Deschutes in Bend, the McKenzie outside of Eugene, the Sanitam outside of Salem (place on the Santiam above Mills City called Spencer's Hole is a fun place to play).

Having lived in Oregon for 25 years I would highly recommend living outside the city of Medford, say in Gold Hill or White City.
backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #4
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Oregon Boaters

Hi, saw this thread and thought I'd post. I just moved to Grants Pass and am looking for people to boat with. I am familiar with the Rogue after multiple runs in days past, and am looking forward to the Illinois the winter/spring. I am a solid class IV+ boater with multiple runs on the MFS, Owyhees, Murtaugh, Rogue, Hells Canyon, Payettes, Selway and Main Salmon. I like to bring the wife and kids when I can and run the heavier stuff solo. So either looking to meet up with either kind of groups. If interested pm me.
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #5
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I live in Ashland and I'm a boating fool. I dare say I get out close to 100 days a year There is tons and tons of stuff to get on, class 1 to 5, way to much to list here. Driving is often necessary and there are distinct seasons. Spring and early summer is best, then winter, mid-summer thru fall until the rain starts is the lean time but still stuff to do. yes, you could boat 365 days a year. I can hook you up with the local boaters message board, if you'd like. pm me and I'll send you in that direction
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #6
The boating out of S Oregon is sweet. Don't forget the Smith, and Cal Salmon drainages. Some of the best playboat/river running in the U.S.
The Sierras are attainable as is Hood River and Washington. Everything besides the Rogue is a bit of a drive but the rivers are world class.

billbob is offline   Reply With Quote